03 September 2008

Mmm . . . Cravings

So I always thought that pregnancy-related cravings were supposed to involve either disgusting combinations of food or random foods a person would never touch otherwise (for me that might be pickles or fish). I haven’t experienced those sorts of cravings at all—I would say that my diet has been completely normal, with simply a ferocious increase of my already-hearty appetite. So I’m not sure if I’m having unusual cravings that I can justifiably contribute to my “condition,” but I definitely get fixations. If something sounds good to me, I simply CANNOT stop thinking about it until it has gone down my gullet.

Like cinnamon rolls. Early last week I thought of how delicious cinnamon rolls are, and then I imagined eating them every day for a solid week. Literally every single night after work I thought, “Tonight’s the night. I’ll walk to the store, buy cinnamon rolls, and go to sleep a happy woman.” The healthier side of me won out every time, but my fixation didn’t die . . . by the time I opened my eyes Saturday morning, my first thought was literally, “Cinnamon rolls. After I go running, I’ll get cinnamon rolls.” And this time it was really going to happen.

I jumped out of bed to get my plan rolling as soon as possible, considering all the while whether it would be smarter to let the rolls bake while I ran or to buy them on my way home, but I didn’t make it too far. When I stepped into the kitchen I saw the best sight in the world: My husband was reading the morning paper while cinnamon rolls finished baking in the oven. What a gem that Mr. Flibby is.

8 comments:

Emily S said...

I never had bizarre cravings, just things I have to have NOW. Nursing is worse, and I will die if I don't get a shake or Coldstone this week. I'll survive on Smores until then.

DP said...

I've always wanted to be a band director.

Kaitlin said...

yum. you remember how i love those sweet rolls at the good ol' cob. miss you so much! i'm so glad that you have a blog so that i can keep up to date on you. although we could always call each other, since we're officially friends. i can't wait for baby gibby to come. february will be here before you know it! congrats again!

Marybeth said...

Congrats on the bun in the oven. That is so exciting. Also, I am proud of you for bloggin it up. You can check out mine at makbethwilson.blogspot.com

Kylie said...

first of all I love that you called your husband Mr. Flibby, awesome. And second how the snot are you! Glad to see you enter the blogging world so we can see that you are having another flib. Congrats!

Sheena said...

Hey Sarah,
Love your blog! And congrats on the soon to be arrival! I am way excited for you! Cinnamon rolls sound great to me too. It is good you are having normal cravings. :)

This Idaho Girl said...

Oh another Gibby baby! How exciting! I hope you have some cool made up names for the little chap or chapette. As for cravings, I really never had them either. I ate way too much of whatever my heart desired. At the end of my pregnancy (50 lbs heavier) I looked like a giant bus.

Tyler and Rachael said...

what a cool husband--you'd better keep him around. did he make those from scratch? if so, i want the recipe.