31 March 2011

A Father's Influence

Madeline's idea of appropriate attire for kicking the ball around in the backyard. The hard hat was a must.

Madeline and I spend a lot of time together. And since I'm the one hanging out with her all day long, it's fair to say that I spend significantly more one-on-one time with her than Dave does. This gives me a certain influence that Dave can't quite match. For example, no matter how much he tries to get her to say orange like a Pennsylvanian would, she says it just like I do. After all, she's heard it my way about a thousand times for every time she's heard it Dave's way.

But she must pay serious attention when she's with her daddy. Case in point:

Madeline and I were cruising around town yesterday, talking about the traffic lights as we drove. Pretty much every time we get in the car, Madeline will tell me the color of the lights and whether that means I should go, stop, or slow down. Yesterday I was quizzing her.

Me: What does green mean?
Madeline: Go!

Me: What does red mean?
Madeline: Stop!

Me: What does yellow mean?
Madeline: Keep going!

11 comments:

DP said...

Do you really talk about orr-anges that much?

sarahflib said...

Nope. But we talk about colors all the time. Orange comes up.

LadyEm said...

Wait, how am I supposed to say orange? I'm not sure if I say it like a Pennsylvanian. Oh no, I've lived in Utah too long...

DP said...

If you say the OR like "ore" it's the Utah way---not just Utah but most of the western U.S.

If you say the OR like "are" it's the Pennsylvania way---not just PA but most of the east coast.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it.

B Rad G said...

The PA way is wrong. -UB

Jill said...

Sorry Dave, I'm with UB there. The PA way is clearly wrong. As are most things in PA. Ore-ange all the way!

Rike / Uli said...

That's so funny! Keep going!!

Also, "Are-ange" sounds weird. Sorry, Dave.

And that hat is great!

DP said...

I'm usually pretty much a descriptivist on this sort of thing---unlike some of you with your notions of "right" and "wrong" ways to say words.

It's just that when you have a kid you get to be a prescriptivist. :)

Lissa said...

Love it! I had a friend who used to say "yellow means go faster!"

Janiebelle007 said...

The midwest says "arnje". Get it? Pronounce it all but the e and the a is not long. You can also say "Fark" and "carn".

LadyEm said...

Oh yeah, I remember Amy and I had a conversation about this when we were 10. She says it the Pennsylvanian way and I've always said it the western way. Must have been my Dad's influence.