At the beach last Saturday--35 weeks
Hi guys. I'm 36 weeks along today. Large and in charge, but everything is going well for the most part, and I'm so grateful for that. I'm half excited to be this close to the finish line and meet our little guy, and half freaking out that everything is a wreck and I really have no hope of getting things in order before he comes. We'll be good either way and I'd certainly rather welcome him sooner than later . . . but it would be nice to have the house under control too.
So we all know that people say crazy things to pregnant women. Not sure why, but common sense flies out the window when people see that baby bump, and they say things without really thinking. I get that and try not to take things personally . . . but I do have to say, there are some things you're just better off not saying to someone who is expecting a baby. Just a few gems I've heard this time around:
1. So, you look like you're about to pop. How far along are you? (Answer: 24 weeks.) Oh wow, but you look like you're so ready! Really, you still have that much time left? Are you sure?
2. You carry that baby all in your belly. Well, and in your butt. Your belly and your butt.
3. So when are you due? (Answer: October; it was July at the time.) *Horrified look.* You're kidding me. How are you going to make it until then? You look like you're going to have that baby any time. No really, how are you possibly doing this? You look so uncomfortable.
4. Wow, you look like you're about to pop. (I laughed and said no, I was only 34 weeks along.) Well, maybe you'll have it early. Do you know how big the baby is? Because you look pretty big.
I'm thinking there's really just one thing to learn from these comments, besides that these people have clearly never spent much time around pregnant women: STOP WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD. Sometimes that means not opening your mouth in the first place. Really, that's okay (and probably for the best) if you're planning to say anything beyond "You look fantastic" or "How are you feeling?" or maybe even "What can I do for you?" It's nice, after all, when people acknowledge that I'm growing another human being here (which is of course very exciting and wonderful) and just might not be the most comfortable person in the world. I'd just prefer the analysis of my physique stop right there.
And yeah. Let's talk about this. Popping? I know you've all heard it before. People say it all, all, all the time, and I despise it. Why did it ever become okay to talk about a pregnant woman in the same sentence as an explosion? No, thank you very much, my belly and I are not going to do any kind of popping whatsoever.
I do have to say that for the most part, people really have been very kind. I appreciate that. One of my favorites was a couple of weeks ago after church. Violet and I were standing outside, and a woman I have seen but don't know came out the doors behind us. She leaned toward me as she passed and paused just long enough to comment, "I just have to say, you look adorable." Totally sweet and kind of her, especially since she could have easily passed by without even saying hello.
And now I'll leave you with a picture of my two babies who are a little more interesting to look at right now:
Yes. They know all about being sisters.
4 comments:
LOL Right? Ahhh, what a spot-on assessment of what happens when people start talking to a pregnant woman; common sense going right out the window. hahaha You do look adorable - your belly doesn't look NEARLY as big as mine typically does when 35 weeks pregnant. But then, your build is quite different from mine anyway. Excited to hear about the safe arrival of your little guy!
These all sound like comments I have heard. The most puzzling thing is when women who've been pregnant say them. They should really know better. Good luck, you're on the final stretch. Soon you'll be cuddling with your little man!
I think you don't look ready to "pop". And you can always laugh and tell folks you hope not because that would be dangerous for you AND the baby. Or you can give them the look. I love the photo of the girls. They are adorable.
My friend Kassie found a maternity shirt that said, "I may be huge, but at least I don't say rude things to pregnant women." Probably we should all get one.
Post a Comment