23 July 2014
Aftermath of the Storm
Wow, I've really been keeping a low profile these days. I didn't realize it had been quite so long since I posted, but it feels like a lot has happened in the past two months.
Remember that freak hailstorm? Well, I stand by my words of gratitude and good health, but the storm definitely damaged more than we suspected at the time. The roof, for example, wasn't doing awesome before but was pretty much destroyed by the hail. And tomorrow we are finally getting a new one! I can't tell you how happy I will be to deal with the hammering and banging tomorrow, even if it results in bad naps for the kids. The attic has been leaking terribly and so has the garage. It has been funny to go around our neighborhood because at least ten houses on each block have bright blue tarps covering up their damaged roofs (unfortunately ours did not get tarped; hence the leakage). Roofers have been traveling here from all over because there is such a terrible backlog of work to be done. Anyway, happy to be at the top of the list!
Other major impact of the storm: our car. Our beloved Subaru was totaled! Once we cleared away all of the leaves and branches, it became obvious that there were more than a few dents on the side. The entire car was covered with dents---top, sides, hood, everything. It was really awesome that the damage was all cosmetic and the Subaru was still so driveable, because we were able to hold onto it for a few weeks before it was towed away. And then my dear brother-in-law and sister-in-law were in Germany for two weeks, the lucky dogs, so we were able to borrow their car while we searched for a new one. Still, it was a very sad moment when our car was taken away . . .
But not a very sad moment when we ended up buying a beautiful van! I am totally in love with it, as I suspected I would be.
We would have been absolutely happy and delighted to keep our Subaru for another year or two, but since it had to leave our lives, this was the next and very wonderful step. Although I have to admit: I wish we could still drive a manual! No seriously, I just said that. When we got our first manual at the beginning of 2012 it was very daunting and I cried a lot because it was stressful and I couldn't do it very well. But I mastered it and even started to love it, just like Dave said I would. Don't tell him I said this, but it actually is kind of fun. (Even though I drive a car for utility, not fun, as I said back then.)
Anyway, cross your fingers we'll have better luck this time around! In the past three years we've had three major auto events:
1. Our car was hit and run while it was parked in front of our house, resulting in significant damage.
2. Our car was stolen while it was parked in front of our house, never to be recovered.
3. Our car was totaled while it was parked in front of our house, as a result of a freak hailstorm.
Thank heavens for insurance and for all the damage occurring when we weren't inside the vehicles! But still. It's pretty crazy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I noticed a common factor in all three of your car incidences--it was parked in front of your house. Maybe try a new spot? :) (And can I please kiss that cute baby Jacob?!?)
If only we had a garage!
Minivan love!! Hello automatic sliding doors! I'm going to miss mine when we leave.
Exciting Sarah! I'm so glad insurance covered all that. I drove a stick shift until I got married and due to laziness factors I like automatic so much better so more power to you!
Post a Comment