Top Eight Recommendations
- The Four Tendencies, by Gretchen Rubin
- Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, by Barbara Demick
- The Warden's Daughter, by Jerry Spinelli
- Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull
- Between Shades of Gray, by Ruta Sepetys
- Caleb's Crossing, by Geraldine Brooks
- The Orphan Keeper, by Camron Wright
- The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg
- Caleb's Crossing, by Geraldine Brooks (This book was really really amazing. It's beautifully written.)
- The Orphan Keeper, by Camron Wright (Based on a true story but written as a novel. It was super engaging and I loved it. Trigger warning: deals with adoption.)
- A House of Unexpected Sisters, by Alexander McCall Smith (A new book in the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series--I always enjoy these.)
- The Secret Keeper, by Kate Morton (Had a super hard time getting into this one, but I persevered because it was for book club. Interesting, kept me guessing even when I thought I had it figured out, but I'd probably skip it.)
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, by John Boyne (Just . . . no. I love books about the Holocaust, but this particular story is too contrived. Lots of historical inaccuracies and set up just to work your emotions.)
- Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes (I have to admit that I really enjoyed this one, even though it's sappy and not especially well written! Sometimes that's just what you want. Bad language though.)
- After You, by Jojo Moyes (First book was better.)
Nonfiction
- The Four Tendencies, by Gretchen Rubin (Everyone read this book! Then report back to me and tell me what your tendency is so we can chat about it! Rubin has developed a personality framework that I personally think is revolutionary and insanely interesting and helpful--all about how we deal with outer and inner expectations.)
- Unseen Angel, by Alissa Parker (About losing her daughter in the Sandy Hook shooting. It's terribly sad because what happened is terribly sad, but I finished it feeling uplifted and inspired. Highly recommend!)
- Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, by Amy Krouse Rosenthal (The author is one of the most amazing children's authors in the world. I love her, and I loved reading her take on life.)
- Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, by Barbara Demick (Absolutely fascinating! I've read a lot of North Korea stuff lately, and this is the one I would most recommend.)
- Escape from Camp 14, by Blaine Harden (Another North Korea book. Liked it.)
- The Great Leader & the Fighter Pilot who Escaped, by Blaine Harden (North Korea again. Liked it.)
- The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg (Wonderful, wonderful book! Such interesting stories and some really practical ways to implement habit change.)
- Hillbilly Elegy, by J. D. Vance (Wow, this book was eye-opening and so, so interesting! The language gets pretty salty because that's how his family really talks; just a heads-up.)
- The Opposite of Spoiled, by Ron Lieberman (Don't remember why I liked this parenting book, but it was a great one.)
- It's Not About the Broccoli: Three Habits to Teach Your Kids for a Lifetime of Healthy Eating, by Dina Rose (Absolutely wonderful advice and ideas; I've recommended it a million times.)
- What the Dog Saw, by Malcolm Gladwell (Very good.)
- Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell (Very good.)
- Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew & the Women Who Created Her, by Melanie Rehak (If you're interested in publishing or the development of children's lit over the past century or Nancy Drew, this is pretty comprehensive and interesting. But that has to be your thing or it's probably too detailed.)
- Capital Gaines, by Chip Gaines (Kind of just a fluffy read, but fun. Nothing amazing.)
YA/Children's Lit
- The Warden's Daughter, by Jerry Spinelli (Amazing, amazing, amazing. Loved this one!)
- The Wild Robot, by Peter Brown (Absolutely wonderful book! Madeline loved it too.)
- Between Shades of Gray, by Ruta Sepetys (Incredible.)
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon, by Kelly Barnhill (Excellent middle grade book! Newbery winner.)
- Out of the Easy, by Ruta Sepetys (Very good. I've been happy with all of her books. Content on this one is a little more mature.)
- Homesick, by Kate Klise (Very good.)
- The Unauthorized Autobiography of Lemony Snicket, by Lemony Snicket (I just have a soft spot in my heart for anything Lemony Snicket.)
- A Boy Called Bat, by Elana Arnold (Very moving. Madeline loved this too.)
- Inside Out & Back Again, by Thannha Lai (Liked it.)
- Silent to the Bone, by E. L. Konigsburg (Liked it.)
- The B'Nai Bagels, by E. L. Konigsburg (Just fine. One of her oldest books and not one of her best.)
- Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli (Reading this as an adult was an entirely different experience than reading it as a teenager, and it's amazing either way!)
- Love, Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli (Another re-read. Also really good.)
- The Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum (My first time reading this! I hated the movie so never even thought about the book, but it was great! Did you know that the famous ruby red slippers from the movie are actually SILVER in the book?? Mind blowing.)
- Mary Poppins, by P. L. Travers (I enjoyed this one. Mary Poppins was so much different than I expected, based on just seeing the movie.)
- Walk Two Moons, by Sharon Creech (I love Sharon Creech but hadn't read this since I was a kid, so I wanted to get it from an adult perspective. Excellent book!)
- Ruby Holler, by Sharon Creech (Excellent book!)
- Pilfer Academy, by Lauren Magaziner (Eh, don't bother.)
- There's a Girl in My Hammerlock, by Jerry Spinelli (This was okay. Spinelli is always worth a read, but it's a far cry from one of his best.)
- Raymie Nightingale, by Kate DiCamillo (Fine. I didn't go crazy over it.)
- The War that Saved My Life, by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley (I thought this book was good but nothing special, but it has won several awards and Madeline absolutely loved it, so there's that.)
Series
I'm not sure how I missed this series earlier in life because it has been around forever, but it's amazing! One of the absolute best series for kids who are just getting into chapter books. Super entertaining for adults too.
- My Father's Dragon, by Ruth Stiles Gannett
- Elmer & the Dragon, by Ruth Stiles Gannett
- The Blue Dragon, by Ruth Stiles Gannett
Fablehaven!! Another series I can't believe I waited so long to read, despite hearing about it forever. I ABSOLUTELY ADORED THIS SERIES. If you like fantasy, read it immediately. These are the kind of books that will keep you up late turning pages though. Madeline also loved them.
- Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull
- Fablehaven: Rise of the Evening Star, by Brandon Mull
- Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague, by Brandon Mull
- Fablehaven: Secret of the Dragon Sanctuary, by Brandon Mull
- Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison, by Brandon Mull
Basically I just think Brandon Mull is an amazing writer. It took me just a bit longer to get into this series, probably because I was still obsessing over Fablehaven, but I really enjoyed it too.
- Five Kingdoms: Sky Raiders, by Brandon Mull
- Five Kingdoms: Rogue Knight, by Brandon Mull
- Five Kingdoms: Crystal Keepers, by Brandon Mull
- Five Kingdoms: Death Weavers, by Brandon Mull
2 comments:
First comment! I thought I needed a book recommendation so...here I am!!!
I am finally getting to your book lists for ideas for Christmas. Brandon Hull was in my creative writing class at BYU. I don't care for fantasy, but Myles and the older girls have loved Fablehaven in English and German.
Post a Comment