16 September 2008

Summer Fun

Let's liven this up with some fine pictures of my summer. (Our summer. The summer. Didn't mean to get possessive.) Dave had several internships, so we lived in about three places over the course of three months. That made for some serious craziness, but we had a ton of fun and had a lot of amazing experiences. His first internship was clerking for a federal judge down in Las Vegas, and one weekend we took a spin over to the Hoover Dam. Very impressive, I have to say. Dave's favorite part of the trip was not standing in two states and two time zones at once, but using "dam" as an adjective whenever possible. In the above picture we are in front of Lake Mead, the lake created by the Hoover Dam. Completely gorgeous, and the hot Las Vegas sun made me want to jump right in. (During our time in Vegas I learned that our car has a very wimpy air conditioner, valiant as it may be.)



One of my favorite moments happened during our road trip from Utah to Pennsylvania. I found an Aldi! If you don't know, Aldi is a German grocery store, and I had no idea they were in the U.S. as well until this summer. They're mostly in the East, apparently. Anyway, I was out of my mind with excitement to see an Aldi, even though that wasn't my store of choice when I was in Germany. Unfortunately the store was already closed at 6:30 p.m.--yet another sign that it's a typical German store--but I peeked in the windows. So German! All of the signs inside were the same style and the aisles were created by stacking up pallets of food. Even the shopping carts were smaller, just like in Germany, and they were the kind that are chained up so you have to insert a coin to use a cart. You get the coin back when you return the cart (it's really a brilliant scheme), so Dave and I returned the random carts we found around the parking lot and drove off pocketing our new-found wealth.

4 comments:

DP said...

What a nice dam picture!

Emily S said...

That's quite the title to warm me up as I sit here feeling chilly. Cute pictures, I hope you are getting the free Coldstone available today.

Anna said...

we had Aldi in Columbus...so cheap. it is too bad they don't have them here...I also thought the cart return coinage was brilliant.

Renae said...

I didn't know Aldi was German! Funny, I do all of our grocery shopping there. We have several around here. I save lots of dough, and yes, the coin carts are brilliant. Love Aldi.