Have you ever wondered what thon means? I hadn't until I started thinking about readathons just now. My curiosity was understandably piqued when Merriam-Webster's online dictionary was silent on the issue, simply promising that thon was available in the unabridged edition. After lugging out the four-inch-thick specimen itself, I discovered that while thon doesn't mean anything in standard American English, the Scots use it as a pronoun to mean "the one yonder." (Keep that in mind; could be useful someday.) Now I feel silly to realize that I should have been looking up athon all along, because good old MW boringly defines that one as "an event or activity lasting a long time or involving a great deal of something." At least I learned a handy new pronoun today, though.ANYWAY, remember readathons? Those were the best. A girl like me could have asked for no better dream day at school than to lounge around reading a good book and stuffing myself with yummy treats. (Guess I haven't changed that much in all these years after all . . . but at least I lost the buck teeth along the way.)
Which brings me to my point. One of my publishing teachers asked us to survey people on a book they recently read that they are enthusiastic about. I'm sure you've all read some good books lately, so if you have a few moments, I would be so grateful if you answered a few painless questions. (You can pick and choose what questions to answer if that's easier.)
- What was the book?
- What book did you read before this one? What chord did this book strike with you that the other did not?
- From reading this book, how is your life perspective different?
- What’s your favorite line?
- Who is the character that you love to hate the most?
- How many people have you told about this book?
- What’s the next book on your list?
5 comments:
i love thons, myself. I am happy to help you out with your assignment, but the question is not painless to me, so I'll get back to you.
My current read is the partial draft of Midnight Sun on Stephanie Meyer's website -- 250 pages and then slam no more to come for quite some time. I'm a little heart broken. Before this one the last I read was Breaking Dawn. I like Midnight Sun better than Breaking Dawn because reading Edward's perspective of their love story is so much more fulfilling--after 3 books of Bella's perspective getting to hear Edward's was like getting to that stage in a dating relationship where you start to discuss all the things you were both thinking all along...It was just so satisfying.
I guess it makes me realize how much I wish I could see from Joe's perspective...like really get into his head and see how he experienced our romance. It makes me realize that he probably loves me even more than I realize.
Favorite line....nothing comes to mind. I like it all.
3 or 4 people.
Next book on my list...I email myself book recommendations sometimes so I guess I'll see what strikes my fancy from that, or what is recommended to me. Maybe I'll read "The Hunger Games" which Stephanie Meyer recently recommended on her website. Yeah, probably that one.
1. Legacy of Ashes
2. Half a John Grisham novel. Substance and meaning.
3. I now have a higher level of distrust for Republicans, Democrats, the Establishment, and especially the CIA.
4. "Better dead than red."
5. JFK
6. One
7. Maybe another exposé of another government agency. Or maybe another Grisham novel.
So I was going to answer your survey, but it just helped me realize how shallow I was. For example, I don't remember the last time I read. My life perspective hasn't changed much...it was just nice to veg. Don't remember any lines, didn't look to intently at the characters, donn't know what else to read. Look what a pathetic friend you have.
OK, so now I have my account I can tell you what I"m reading. I'm reading a book that contains more writings of Laura INgalls Wilder from her days writing for a newspaper in Mansfield, MO. It's really great and there are probably no characters I will love to hate. One thing I really like about this book is her philosophy of life, which is two paragraphs and too long to post here. Anyway, she was a stand by your man kind of woman and truly belied in good Christian principles so I believe in her. Can't have a favorite line because I'm not done. Besides, my favorite line comes from a movie! I've now told all of you about this book. The one I'm going to read next is an LDS novel thing I can't remember the name of because I just checked it out. And the last book I read was just one I've read before called ROSES for MAMA. And actually, pretty similar chords are being struck so I guess I'm a one song woman.
Post a Comment