05 December 2008

New Skillz

To celebrate making it to Friday at 2:30 p.m. in one piece, I thought I'd post pictures of my recent foray into the world of cake decorating. I've had my eye on a cake decorating class for several years now, and my dear friend Maria and I finally started one this week. It has been super fun so far.

On Wednesday we learned a few basic techniques and then were free to decorate as we pleased. Neither Maria nor I had come prepared with any ideas, and my brain was so overloaded that day that inspiration just wasn't striking. So I started squeezing my little tube of frosting and somehow ended up with this:


Random! The cake was in honor of Dave because he's a fan of yellow cake with chocolate frosting, and I meant to write "Merry Christmas, Dave." But when I was writing "merry," somehow I spaced out and wrote an extra e instead of the first r. Spelling mistakes are much more serious when they're immortalized in frosting, so then I had to think of a word that starts with those three letters . . . and this is what we got. Somehow it just struck me as extra amusing, especially considering how Maria's turned out:


Absolutely darling, that's how. I think Maria was wise to hold off on the frosting until she had a solid vision in place. Maybe I'll use that approach next week. Anyhow, here's the two of us posing with our final creations:


3 comments:

DP said...

Sorry I mortalized your words by eating them.

Emily S said...

The other word I can think of off the bat is "meercat." Looks like fun, and I know it is . . . one thing that worked for me on Josh's b-day is Gary and I wrote/drew in the cake with a toothpick and then I piped over it. Good for novices. I expect something great for my first annual Christmas-Eve cake (um, made by you).

Janiebelle007 said...

Whoever heard of a caked named DAve? And if there was one why would I want to meet him? EAT him, yes. I hate to eat things with a name! Seems canabalistic. I think your cake is much more creative. Anyone can write or think of Happy Holidays with a Christmas Tree. Sorry Maria!