31 March 2009

The Babylein

Let me just say that Madeline is too skinny. Cute, yes, but way too skinny for being six weeks old. She's still only 5 pounds, 12 ounces (two ounces over her birth weight), putting her squarely into the lowest percentile for weight. I guess someone has to be that small or all the chubby babies couldn't shine by topping the charts . . . At any rate, Madeline eats enough and seems to be healthy in every other way, so her slow weight gain has really puzzled the pediatrician.

Yesterday we spent a few hours at the hospital to get Madeline's blood and urine samples taken. What an experience. She was poked a million times and even had to get a catheter. I felt so sad for my sweet little baby . . . getting a catheter is not how I personally would want to get woken up from a nap. Seriously, I almost wanted my mom there to comfort me while I comforted Madeline. Who knows if I'll ever outgrow that. I'll be eighty years old with white hair and wanting to hold my mom's hand when I have to do something tough.

Madeline was a champ through the ordeal, and we gave her a sticker afterward so she would feel better. And then we gave me a lime rickey so I would feel better.


We did find out from the lab work that Madeline is anemic, and the anemia could be contributing to her slow weight gain. It would be nice if that's the answer because it's a fairly easy fix. We started her on iron drops last night, and now the trick is simply getting them into her system because they are nasty. Have you ever smelled your hands after running them along a metal railing? Yeah, that's how her medicine tastes. Poor kid.

12 comments:

DP said...

Just to clarify, a lime rickey in Utah involves limeade and grape soda.

Emily S said...

We used to hide Joshy's steroids for his lungs in Scooby-doo sherbet pops, but she's too young for that, I guess . . . I have been wondering about this, thanks for posting! I hope anemia is all it is, cause that wouldn't be too bad at all. Did you get all the results back, or just that one cause it's fast? She looks satisfied with her sticker, so no worries.

Katie M. said...

oh man. Poor girl. It is hard seeing your baby be picked/poked/stabbed at. I had to sit and hold Henry down while his doctor cleaned out wax from his inner ear to see if there was an ear infection last week (there was one:(())... and Henry just screamed bloody murder. Anyways.

Well, at least you have an answer, for now. Hopefully the drops help her to gain some ell-bees. She's sure cute though. You re doing an awesome mommy!

Sherwood family said...

Kathleen had to get cath'd last summer (before she could talk), and she's still telling me about the man in the doctor's office who poked her bottom. And I'm sure the man still remembers his head almost being kicked in by a 2 year-old.

If you want to be mean (but get the drops down), squeeze her cheeks so she can't shut her jaws, and put the dropper as far back as you can go without gagging her. That way she can't spit them out. Mean, but effective.

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

Aw, poor little cutie. Hope it helps her weight gain though!

This Idaho Girl said...

My girls are anemic (Rachel also had reflux). I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to take their meds. That's where all your education comes in handy.

Janiebelle007 said...

She is so sweet! Her little arm had such a huge bandage. Kiss her for Grandma.

Natalie B. said...

We take iron drops daily and I used a little med dispenser sort of like this, but mine came from walmart.
http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/Baby_Medicine_Dispenser_p/munc-12501.htm
But it worked well to mix the drops with milk. I gave it to the girls first thing in the morning and they were so hungry they didn't mind. My pet peeve about iron drops is that it stains everything. But, we will continue to take our drops. Good luck.

Kevin + Marcy said...

Awe, you poor girls. Sarah, I'm sorry you had to stand by while she had to undergo those tests. I'm glad both of you got treats, thought! You're a good mama.

Gretchen said...

Your daughter is so adorable!!!! My daughter Kaylee has the same outfit Madeline is wearing. So cute!! There are so many cute little outfits for baby girls. I have the hardest time not buying Kaylee a new outfit every time I go shopping. :)

Mary Pugh said...

So sorry to hear about all the pokes and proddings! As a new mom all you want to do is make your baby healthy and happy... and so having to watch your little baby get all those tests (which are not making her happy) to make her healthy is so hard! You are so brave! I had to have my mom stay with Jack when he got his blood drawn for his jaundice tests, I couldn't even be in the same room, so way to go Sarah and good luck! I hope everything is okay!

Sheena said...

It was great to see you at the mission reunion! Your little Madeline is adorable. I love her hair. I hope that the iron works and that it is not too terrible to have her take it. Good luck!