13 May 2009

Maine, Schmaine

A post by DP

So, we just got back from a quick trip to Maine. And of course, everyone always expects you to come back saying junk like "Oh, it was just FABULOUS!" and "What an AMAZING place!" and blah blah blah. And sure, the views were stunning, the towns quaint, and the lobster succulent—I can't really complain about the place, right?

Except I'm going to.

I have two problems with Maine.

Problem #1 is the wanton employment of puns on the state's name. Those of you who know me well also know that I'm not afraid to use a good pun every now and then. But the key to puns is using them with discretion. You don't just go throwing them around all over the place, or else they get old—fast. Case(s) in point:
  1. Maine Street Motel
  2. My Maine Bag
  3. Chow Maine Asian Specialties
  4. Maine Attraction
  5. Mainely Meat Barbecue

And let's not forget my personal favorite:


I know there were more, but those were the, uh, principal offenders. All right, I can't even bear to think about this anymore.

Problem #2 took a little longer to detect, but it's no less heinous. Let me ask you something. Do you remember staring at glass and plastic bottles when you were younger and wondering what the heck HI ME 5¢ REFUND meant?



And then you got a little older and learned that it had to do with recycling. And HI meant Hawaii and ME meant Maine. Well, here I was in Maine, and I realized my dreams had finally come true. I could, if I so desired, waltz down to the recycling center (or even the grocery store), present my bottles, and demand some cold, hard nickels in return. Of course, I didn't have time. But at first it was comforting to know that I could get my refund if I wanted to.

But wait. What, exactly, does the word refund mean to you? If you're thinking "free money," well, let's just say the federal tax withholding program will enjoy continued success as a painless method for Uncle Sam to extract interest-free loans from taxpayers. But I digress . . .

Here's the real deal. I looked at a receipt after a grocery store and realized, to my horror, that I had not only purchased a six-pack of cranberry juice bottles and another of ginger ale (I highly recommend this, by the way), but I had also contributed—you guessed it—5¢ per bottle in the form of a "bottle deposit."

Yep, that's right. You pay that extra 5¢ every time you buy a bottle. There's no benevolent government fairy that gives you nickels for bottles; they're just refunding you the money you already spent.

And don't even try extolling the benefits of recycling and citing completely valid public-policy arguments favoring such plans. My childhood dreams have been shattered, and there's nothing you can say that will bring them back.

Other than that, though, the trip was great.


10 comments:

Carrie said...

What a bummer about the bottle tax. How lame is that? I am glad that you guys are going to be in Maine over the summer. Please stop by Lancaster some time! I guess I don't have to plead too much because your mother-in-law probably wins that game. Viel Glück!

AshEnds said...

That is funny. Too bad, but really funny.

Anonymous said...

We have to pay 25 cents in Germany for every bottle...takes a lot of time to get used to but then again...you know you've done something for mother earth, right? I'm glad you had a great trip! :)

juliewesterberg said...

You are such a cynic complaining about those Maine puns. Who knew? Mainely, I am happy you had a good time. And it is most disturbing about the bottles. There is no free lunch out there.

Janiebelle007 said...

I love Madeline's picture on the top here.

Eliza said...

I'm LOLing over here. In California as a child I remember bringing bottles and cans to a machine outside the grocery store for nickels. Not sure if I was just getting money back that my mom spent or what.

Your honesty about Maine is refreshing...although my bone to pick with Maine (which I have never visited) is a different one. I do think it sounds like a romantic place, but more than that, it just sounds really, really cold.

Nic & Kandis said...

Nic and I always drink cranberry and ginger ale whenever we are traveling on an airplane...so good! Very entertaining post by the way.

Rachel said...

"Those of you who know me well also know that I'm not afraid to use a good pun every now and then."

Almost as good as that diary entry...oh, your blog is golden.

Emily S said...

Oh, no, I never told you what an amazing post this is . . . I just keep thinking about that sad bottle refund deal, as I had the same childhood dream. Funny thing is, I lived in Hawaii, but did not discover this. Love DP on the blog! (Gary still never accepted my invite to contribute . . .)

Andrew and Ariel said...

I miss you, Dave.
-Andrew