22 July 2009

Calling all Berlin missionaries!

Sauerkraut juice? Yep, it exists. No, I didn't buy it, although you can tell I'm incredibly torn between that and multivitamin juice, which is way yummier than it sounds.

Anyway . . . this is a call to those of you who served with me in the Germany Berlin Mission. In case you didn't get this via e-mail, I'm compiling a book (at President Kopischke's request) of inspirational stories from our mission. Here are the details:

As missionaries, we all experienced many powerful, life-changing events. Remember how we shared these stories as "warm ups" at the beginning of district meetings and zone conferences? Remember how these stories always strengthened our faith and motivated us to keep going in the work of the Lord? We want to record these stories while they are still fresh in our minds and hearts. Through them, we hope to chronicle the miracle that occurred in our mission during President Kopischke's tenure and create a lasting record that will strengthen the faith of those who read it.

I am imagining stories that are written in the vein of "Latter-day Saint Voices" in the back of each Ensign. You can share just about anything inspirational that you experienced during your mission. Don't worry about whether you're a good writer or not---just record the story, and we'll worry about fixing up the nuts and bolts.

Please send any submissions by 1 October 2009 to sistergibby@gmail.com (see submission guidelines below). Sister Anita Andrews and I will then prepare the stories for publication, hopefully getting something ready by the mission reunion next April. Whether the book is accepted for official publication or not, we will make copies available to any of you who are interested.

One more thing. Please spread the word! Forward this e-mail to any of your mission cronies, post the info on Facebook, or let people know through your blogs. The more people who know and participate, the better this book will be.

Submission Guidelines:
  • You must have served in the Germany Berlin Mission under President Erich Kopischke.
  • At the top of your submission, include your name and the dates you served, along with the area you were in and the name of your companion when this experience took place.
  • There is no minimum or maximum word count, but please include enough detail that someone unfamiliar with the mission can understand what took place.
  • Send (in the body of an e-mail or as a Word attachment) to sistergibby@gmail.com by 1 October 2009.

9 comments:

krista jo said...

sounds really cool! I am already thinking of many...I will post this on my blog too if you like?

I know Zach will have fun with this one!

Anna said...

Sarah,

How are you publishing this little record? You might consider Blurb.com -- the quality is really nice and best of all it'll allow you to post the link in their "bookstore" so that any missionaries from your mission who want a copy can go and order one of their own (and you wouldn't have to handle any of the money/shipping/details). Just a thought.

Btw, we need to get together soon. We had such fun eating dump cake and playing games. :)

sarahflib said...

Krista--it would be great if you post this on your blog as well. You can either post a link or put your own spin on it (or copy and paste); whatever you prefer.

Anna--Blurb is a good idea; thanks! It would be great if anyone could just order copies. I haven't settled on the publication details yet; I'll research a bit more when the time comes.

Renae said...

Seriously!? Sauerkraut juice?! BLECH!! WHY????!!!

Janiebelle007 said...

Took me until today to realize you were on your mission. This wasn't just some store in Provo.

Sister Tara Bowen said...

Sorry this is off topic, but Madeline's routine is really something! Bless you guys for being the amazing people you are to give Madeline everything she needs. And do you guys need a date night in the next week and a half? Or a date day? Doug's doing the bar exam thing until next Wednesday, so I can help out whenever.

Seth and Mariah said...

Madeline really is blessed to be born into such a loving and caring family who will give her everything she needs. Thanks for enlightening all of us more about what all is involved with CF. It is amazing everything they have to help her through it all.

S said...

Sarah, I know I wasn't a berlin missionary with you, but I was a precursor who should have been roommates with you in Vienna, so that's kind of similar, right? Just seeing the picture made me miss Vienna and all the fun we had! Remember when we introduced Brownies with ice cream to them all? We're such cool Americans in a foreign country!
And remember when we'd try to make conversation with the missionaries and they were scared to death of talking to us? That's all.

Unknown said...

funny story, my brother is in the frankfurt germany mission, and he actually bought the Sauerkrautsaft, and yes, he informed us, it is a laxative. ;)