27 August 2009

Pick me!

Please pick me for Mother of the Year. Since Madeline wasn't born until mid-February, my mothering got off to a late start and I've been working especially hard ever since to earn this title. Here's an example of why I've got what it takes.

On Monday I did several loads of laundry: washed, dried, folded, put away. The works. I threw the last load of laundry--Madeline's clothes--into the washing machine and then went about my merry way. Later that evening I realized I hadn't ever put those clothes into the dryer, so I asked Dave to do so. When I pulled them out, they were nice and toasty and I sat right down to fold them and put them away.

Madeline's dresser happened to be in the hallway where the light is kind of dim (we were in the middle of rearranging pretty much everything in the house). As I folded her clothes, I was super disappointed at how stained some of them were. I hoped it was just the lighting, but of course sometimes clothes just get stained and that's that. Just as I was about finished putting Madeline's clothes away, I pulled a bib out of the remaining pile of laundry and realized it was still caked with rice cereal. Caked, people. Not stained.

And that's when I realized I had never actually started the washing machine on that particular load of clothes. Just, you know, dried them for twenty minutes and put them away with all of Madeline's clothes that were actually clean.

This is how Madeline feels about my latest efforts to win Mother of the Year:

12 comments:

DP said...

She told me she actually prefers it when her clothes have dried food on them. That way she can have a snack between meals!

Also, you probably shouldn't feel too bad about putting them in the dryer, since you didn't actually put them in there—you told me to do it. Luckily, the bar for Dad of the Year isn't as high.

Paula said...

Hahaha, I can totally see myself doing that sort of thing! Besides, I totally think you deserve the title of Mother of the Year.

Nic & Kandis said...

This is really funny! Can't say I have done that one before. However, I have run the wash and realized I never put soap in it and wondered why my clothes were still stinky!

Lee said...

Stains. I was going to recommend a pre-wash stain lifter, but I guess washing is good idea too.

Good point Dave. If they didn't feel wet, it could be held over your head, not Sarah's.

Lee often forgot to start the dryer. (We live in Logan and the dryer was on the back porch!) In the winter our clothes would freeze. "Thanks Hon."

I just feel bad you had to go to all the work of folding for nothing.

Janiebelle007 said...

At least you noticed before you tried to put them on her again. Now THAT would be mom of the year.

Mary Pugh said...

That totally deserves the award!

Jake, Jenn and the Girls said...

I'm just glad that I'm not the only one who does stuff like that. I think you are spectacular and you get my vote.

Emily S said...

That's bad, but in a funny way . . . I was actually relieved to get to the end of the story and find that you hadn't washed her clothes with a pen or something. That's what I feared when I read "stains in the dark."

JohnP said...

Reminds me of the time Dave
put the wet muddy floor mats
from my car in the dryer.
Then next load of wash
was "eventful"

Renae said...

LOL!

Kevin + Marcy said...

Thanks again for lunch last week, Sarah. I loved, loved, loved seeing you and Madeline, and I feel especially privileged to have been one of the firsts to hear this story. :) Love you tons!

DP said...

Your baby is very cute.