I was up at the homestead last weekend, and I ended up sorting through yet another box of stuff that my parents are gracious enough to store in their closet. I actually really like doing this, because it's always a great trip down memory lane and usually results in me laughing hysterically over a funny note or an awesome picture of my sister Hannah wearing a t-shirt tucked into a pair of crooked jean shorts.
Somehow I part with more things each time I go through my boxes, and it feels good. I feel like I'm getting down to the items that are actually meaningful or something. At any rate, this time I managed to say good-bye to a ticket stub from a Britney Spears concert, my fourth-grade state report on Oklahoma, and my old Aca-Deca study guides. All good decisions.
I also tossed a box of old letters into the trash pile, however, only to pull them out again and realize that I'm not sure I want to get rid of them, at least not right now. I read a couple of the letters over again, and they brought back so many wonderful memories of friendships and good times when I was younger. Which brings me to my question: What do you guys think about saving old letters from friends/boyfriends/friends-who-are-boys?
Here's my take on it: It would be weird to save such letters if I were treasuring them and frequently re-reading them. But if they're packed away and I only read them every now and again, and the letters just serve as a record of my life and bring back fun memories, then why not just keep them around until I'm totally sure I don't want them? I would personally LOVE it if my mom and dad had saved letters like that when they were younger! It would give me such an insight into their lives. At the same time, I've heard of people who insist their spouse destroy any old letters like this. I find that approach a little extreme, but I'm sure they have reasons for thinking it's important to do.
Anyway, there you go. My thoughts. Now for yours.
10 comments:
I really didn't have any anyway so the insight would have been minimal.
I feel like it's part of your life, and part of your history. What if someone does a Sarah Jane Gibby Peris Papers Project someday?
Ha ha. I have to admit, though, I've been tempted to start writing the location next to the date on all of my correspondence, just in case my letters are ever cited. They won't be, though.
I destroyed mine because I don't want my children to read them. My take is that if you read them ever 5 years when you are reorganizing your house then it is fine. But if you pull them out to read them then that is weird.
I personally felt it necessary to dump any and all letters from males that weren't family. Very few of mine were from males with whom my relationship was strictly platonic. I'd say it has to depend on how your spouse feels about it, and how you feel about your spouse. :D If your spouse ever compares unfavorably with any of the authors of your letters, then you'd better toss the letters.
Compares unfavorably?? Impossible!
True Dave. So they might as well be tossed so someone else doesn't feel bad someday.
I should also clarify that none of these letters are love letters, or even letters from boyfriends. DP is the first and only boyfriend I've ever had!
Somehow I ended up with both sets of letters to and from my "missionary" (actually I know exactly HOW I got both sets but will spare you the drama of the day that I decided once and for all that I definitely did NOT want a future with said person), and I have yet to look at them. Trever makes me keep them though, for "historic reasons".
My question: If I ever get caught up on my scrapbooks and decide to do my college years, do I include all of the photos of me with old boyfriends? Even the kissing ones?
I had to laugh when you mentioned your old Aca-Deca study guides...I was finally able to let mine go last year when my parents moved, although I can't say it was an easy decision. Good memories! :)
Post a Comment