Exactly one year ago today, we got a phone call from a doctor at Primary Children's Hospital that changed our lives forever. We knew the call was coming, but we hoped the news would be different. Instead, we found out that our beautiful and perfect baby girl has cystic fibrosis.
Our feelings about her diagnosis are so much different today than they were when we first found out, as we knew they would be. And we're so grateful for that. I'm planning to write the full story of her diagnosis this weekend, along with sharing some of the things we've learned during the past year. For now, look at the contrast between the baby we had last year and the little girl we have today.
You have to know that in the above picture, Madeline was eight weeks old and just barely over six pounds. See how baggy her onesie was? It was still the newborn size, along with her diaper and everything else she was wearing. And her thighs only have bulk because warming pads were strapped to her legs and then wrapped up. This picture is of the first time Madeline had a sweat chloride test done, which is the test that determines whether a person has CF. She was too skinny to sweat that day, so we did not get the official diagnosis until two weeks later when she had gained some weight and had another test done.
Today, though, Madeline looks good.
And we feel very blessed.

13 comments:
WOW! That is like night and day different. I am excited to hear your feelings and thoughts about all of it. I love you!
Huzzah for modern medicine and one cute cute girl!
I'm so glad she looks so good (and cute) now! That first picture made my heart hurt for you guys! I'm interested to hear your experience too.
Way to teach her responsibility. I really have a hard time thinking about your call so I will just say I LOVE MADDIE CAKES!
Ah, she is so cute. You guys are amazing, and so is Madeline. Isn't it wonderful that modern medicine is so well equipped to help her? She looks like a perfectly healthy child. She is so adorable.
What an adorable child you have! Thanks for sharing your CF journey!
This is such a big responsibility for young first-time parents like you, but you and DP are so awesome and just the people to own this situation, not let it own you. Madeline is gorgeous.
Wow. What a difference a year can make! She's still a little dolly!
oh, your cute baby girl. I'm grateful for the difference a year can make.
sI can't believe that was a year ago. She has come so far in a year. Her face is priceless. Seriously, can we hook her and Hejo up in 22 something years??
I look forward to reading your story. I have hated dealing with Lucy's asthma, and it has been so frustrating not knowing the best combination of meds and approaches to help her. Doug's mother-in-law also wants us to have an alternative nutritionist lady help Lucy--we're not thrilled at the prospect of weirdo baths and special pills from nutrition stores. Sigh.
She is sooo adorable and looks like she is doing fabulous!
She really looks wonderful.
And you're wonderful!
Good combination!
Post a Comment