10 May 2010

CF Diagnosis: Part 1


Since there is so much to say, I decided to write about Madeline's CF diagnosis in parts. This is part 1, the beginning of our journey with CF.

Madeline was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when she was ten weeks old. The story of how she was diagnosed can be summed up in three ugly words: failure to thrive. These three words leave out most of the real story, however. They leave out the worry, the heartache, the stress, the frustration, the relief, and the overall joy that we experienced during those ten long weeks as we struggled to find out what was wrong with our perfect baby girl.

Our first hint that something wasn't quite right came when Madeline was eleven days old and started vomiting after most of her feedings. As a first-time mom, it was hard to convince people that this was not regular baby spit-up. It was projectile vomiting (sometimes two or three feet across the room), which is absolutely not normal. And like I said, it happened after most of her feedings. Also not normal.

At her two-week doctor's appointment, we found out that Madeline had not yet regained her birth weight. Babies generally lose a bit of weight after they are born and then are expected to gain it back by the time they are two weeks old. Madeline only lost a few ounces to begin with, but she was just sort of stuck where she was, hovering around 5.5 pounds. This was a red flag that we needed to monitor her weight closely and make sure she started to gain.

Madeline also started to have stomach cramps at night, and she would cry until the early hours of the morning before finally falling asleep out of sheer exhaustion. Once again, it was hard to know if this was really something to be concerned about, or if it was simply normal newborn behavior. Something always made us feel like she was in serious pain, though. When I looked in her eyes, I could tell that she was so sad and confused about why she was hurting so much. That look always broke my heart, and I tried to explain to her why these bodies are worth it, even though they can hurt so much.

I remember holding Madeline late one night, just rocking and crying and praying. Deep inside, I knew that something was wrong, even though everyone told me not to worry. That night I sensed that Madeline has an absolutely amazing spirit--that she is just so good--and I thought about how incredible it is that Heavenly Father trusts me to be her mother. It was such an overwhelming feeling, especially when I felt so absolutely powerless to alleviate her pain. But that night, I felt honored to just hold her and love her and let her know that it would be okay. And I felt honored that she already loved me and trusted me, even though I'm just a frail mortal myself and couldn't make everything okay right that moment.

It is amazing how quickly one tiny baby girl became the absolute center of our thoughts and prayers.

Read part 2 of Madeline's diagnosis story here.

8 comments:

S said...

Sarah, what a rough introduction to motherhood and for Mads a rough intro into this very crazy world! I'm so glad she was born to such an amazing girl like you, you two deserve each other!

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

This part of the story still breaks my heart. Oh, how hard this must have been! It's still hard now I'm sure, but at least you can help her . . . and it's working! She is just adorable and you are such a great mom.

Janiebelle007 said...

You just had to make me cry didn't you? I love that little girl and the photo of her is so sweet. And the reason Heavenly Father trusted her with you is because you are so much more perfect in so many ways than you know. Hold on to those few imperfections so we don't lose you. I love baby.

Emily S said...

I never commented here? Weird. Madeline is great, and I'm so glad things seem sunnier now than at this time last year. We can't wait to hang out with her!

Katie M. said...

It was touching to read this- thank you for sharing and for your introspection--- I just think that Madeline is one very special person, and that she also came into the hands of some very special people. I think God has big plans for her, as well as for you and DP.



Also, I'm sorry if I didn't return your call? Did I?? See... can't remember! We've had a busy weekend with family in town, but I got your message about your 1 hour pit stop in PHILLY and of course, WE'D LOVE TO SEE YOU!Holy cow yes! Can you do me favor por favor?? If I somehow FORGET to call you BACK on this subject, will you throw me another ring soon and JUST REMIND ME? Let's for sure plan on seeing each other-- it's May 31st or May 30th?

xo

Hannah said...

Now you're making ME cry. No one in the world loves that baby like you do, Sar. She's so lucky! You're a great mom! The most perfect one for Mads.

Michelle said...

I loved this. Thank you. Looking forward to your future installments but in the mean time, hope the move (went/is going) well, the thesis is coming along nicely, and that life is good! Your plates are full-- not quite sure how you do it, but I admire you. xoxo

This Idaho Girl said...

Thanks for sharing, Sara. I'll be waiting (with bated breath) for parts 2 and beyond.