03 May 2011
Hit and Run
Last week someone smashed into our car, most likely while it was parked on our sleepy little street in Provo. They didn't say a word about it (and no one seems to have seen it happen), but they left behind a sizable amount of damage as a belated graduation gift.
I'm talking between $600 and $2000 worth of damage, depending on how well we want to fix it up, for a car that has been completely reliable and comfortable but is only worth about $2000 as it is. Frustrating. Our insurance only covers hit-and-run cases if we at least know the license plate number of the person who hit and ran. Frustrating.
While I am of course grateful a million times over that we weren't actually in an accident and therefore had absolutely no risk of being injured ourselves, it's pretty lame that all we did was EXIST (and own a car) and suddenly we're the ones out of luck. There's no way that the person who hit our car didn't realize they had hit it--there's too much damage for that.
Fortunately the car is still completely drivable for short distances while we figure out the best way to fix it up. And fortunately Dave has mad Excel skills that help us easily compare quotes from different places and determine where we'll get the best deal in the end.
But still. A hit and run? Who does that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Lame. Way sorry about that. That is super frustrating. And darn insurance companies for putting loopholes into policies so that they don't have to cover things. Again I say, lame.
Oh I am so so sorry that is "uber" lame!
I hate dishonest people. Lame to the max.
so, does your insurance company actually know the meaning of "hit and run"---how in the world are you suppposed to get their license plate number if they run? so so sad for you and your car.
I've spent a lot of time talking up our insurance company in the past, so I just want to point out that we don't have collision coverage, which would've covered the damage (after the deductible) if we had it. But our "uninsured motorist property damage" coverage, which I previously thought would apply in a hit-and-run case, actually only applies if you know who caused the damage. Of course it would be nice if they covered it, and some companies in some states would.
But thanks for your justifiable outrage at whoever hit the car. The sad thing is that if they had insurance they probably wouldn't even have to pay anything. I once scraped a lawyer's shiny BMW, and my insurance paid for the whole thing and the rates didn't even go up.
Sorry Sarah and Dave!
Actually, why don't you call Wes Harris up here in Preston? He is great and will give you the best deal you'll ever get.
That's a good suggestion. We already found a place that we think will be great, though, and the car is being worked on as we speak. Plus we wouldn't want to drive that far with the hood in the condition it was in.
Oh my gosh Sarah! The EXACT same thing happened to us in Provo!! No lies... your story to a T!!!! Our car was completely totaled-- smashed to bits practically. Very depressing. The insurance situation was so frustrating, I hear ya! We ended up selling ours to a junk yard for $300. So so sad. What is it about those drunk drivers in Provo, eh? So sorry that happened to you guys.
After 10 years of driving the blue hornet (a 1995 geo prizm) I finally purchased a brand spankin' new altima. It was "hit and run" 3 times in the first year I had it. The last time the driver at least left his insurance information. I feel your pain.
Did you check the back end of your truck for reverse damage:)?
We had a hit and run on one of our cars growing up. It was easy to figure out who had done it though- he had busted his radiator when he hit our car and it leaked the whole way home. We just followed the trail. Luckily he only lived around the corner. He was totally plastered when it happened. Idiot. Sorry guys!
Post a Comment