10 May 2011

Ode to George

Dave's boyhood dog, George, died yesterday. He was a good dog, and Madeline loved him just as much as Dave did. As for George's feelings on the matter--well, he did a pretty good job of ignoring her until he finally realized last fall that Madeline is a good person to have on your team. She might have invested more in the relationship than he did, but he was more than happy to take advantage of any treats or offers to sit on the couch (a normally forbidden zone).

George had some funny quirks, such as not liking to drink water out of a dish. He preferred rainwater, but pretty much anything was preferable to his intended water. As a result, he got way too parched at the end of last summer. Madeline found an ice cream scoop and painstakingly scooped water out of his dish and carried it to him across the house, scoop by scoop, until he'd had enough to drink. It was hilarious, but it was also the only way he would drink and it was so sweet of her to think of it.

Thanks for being Madeline's first dog, George.

9 comments:

Jenni said...

Hi Sarah. I'm the visitor from Hawaii on your blog today (great vacation). :) Just thought I'd mention again how I really enjoy visiting your blog. Thanks for sharing it!
Jennifer Peters :)

Hannah said...

Oh, I love this! Poor George, bless him. I hope Dave and Mannie are doing ok. She's adorable (and the pic of her and Sophie--love them).

S said...

That's a milestone for sure! I'm impressed with Mad's ingenuity!

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

Oooh, what a little cutie - the ice cream scoop story is so sweet. That's tough to lose a dog. I personally have had no desire to have a pet since the dog I had as a kid died. Guess I'm a one dog kind of gal. :)

LadyEm said...

Condolences. I know how much Dave loved George.

Jill said...

Awww, rest in peace, George! Hugs to Dave and family.

Janiebelle007 said...

George really was almost like Dave and Steve's brother. Only he had 4 legs. I'll miss asking about him.

DP said...

Steven and I also have 4 legs. I'm going to miss my dog.

Janiebelle007 said...

But it takes two of you to have 4 legs and only one of George. I'm sorry about George. Really I am.