During my pregnancy, I tried not to think too much about CF and baby no. 2. We were obviously well aware of and at peace with the fact that our child had a 25 percent of having CF--otherwise we wouldn't have been having another baby. But of course we would a million times rather our baby fall into the 75 percent category.
We had Violet's cord blood collected at birth and sent away for genetic testing. The standard newborn screening process does not test for the CF mutations that we carry, plus it's a relatively slow way to find out when you already know that CF is a possibility.
And now we know. Violet is CF-free. I didn't expect to cry as much finding out that a child doesn't have CF as I did finding out that Madeline does, but I am just overwhelmingly grateful for my babies just as Heavenly Father has sent them to me. They are both perfect little miracles. And I am so, so, so happy for Violet that her version of perfection doesn't include CF.
And perhaps it sounds selfish, but I'm also grateful that we don't have to start all over again with CF care right now. I take care of Madeline gladly, including her CF-related needs. I really do. But do you know how amazing and miraculous and relaxing it is to nurse a tiny little baby without shaking little enzyme beads into her mouth first? Without wondering if the dosage is going to be right and if she will digest the food properly? And to see her actually grow as a result of her efforts? I love it.
Violet is getting a double chin. Her thighs are filling out. She will be three weeks old tomorrow and is already pushing 8 pounds--nearly 1.5 pounds more than her birth weight! Every time I put her on the scale, I'm positively amazed and grateful to see the numbers going up.
What if I have a fat baby?? Who cares if it happens; I love that it's even a possibility.
15 comments:
How wonderful! We're so happy for you! All of you :)
This is Ariel, but I know Andrew feels the same :)
I totally understand what you mean about having two perfect babies, one with CF and one without. And yes, you're allowed to be completely grateful to not have to go through all that work just to get your baby to grow. I'm so happy for you guys. I was so impressed with how you dealt with all of the CF requirements for Mads, they are both lucky to have you guys as parents!
That is such good news to hear that she is growing properly and you don't need to worry about that same things with Violet. You really do have two perfect little girls, and you guys are amazing parents! Hope we get to see you before we ship off.
I really need to put you on my blog list because I only ever check your blog when I think about you or you comment on mine! This is SUCH GREAT NEWS! I'm so happy for you. A chubby baby? How sweet would that be!
Hurray! That IS good news. Yea for effortlessly chubby babies. :)
Such happy news! And you know, being a fat baby is really the only time it's "cute."
YEAH!!!! I am so so glad for you and for Violet! I loved what you said about being, "overwhelmingly grateful for my babies just as Heavenly Father has sent them to me. They are both perfect little miracles". So true and so beautiful that you recognize that! Thank you for sharing!
I cry thinking about you crying. Cute little Violet, so glad for you. And if she gets fat, the better to kiss and squeeze. I love it!
Oh, this is the best news. I was wondering about that, as I'm sure everyone else was. I just love your little family!
She is beautiful. They both are. Congratulations!
wa hoo!!!! That is hugely good news!!
They are both so adorable. Goodness. And if you can believe it, I STILL haven't mailed off your baby gift. So sorry. It's coming.
I am so happy for Miss Violet to be CF free and for you to have a "normal" newborn experience, wherein your baby gains weight. Congratulations on your second little one! So are you really potty training Maddie, or is she just scaring you with the whole stripping at naptime thing? I don't want to potty train Lucy yet...
What wonderful news, Sarah. Both your girls are precious angels.
Tara--I was potty training Madeline but taking it really easy because of the baby's impending arrival and then because of the new baby. She can stay dry for hours and spent a couple of weeks wearing underwear almost all day, but then she starting resisting, and it's not worth it to me to push her. She just takes off the diapers because she can't stand wearing them once they're wet.
Post a Comment