02 December 2011

Binky, R.I.P.

Madeline has been an enthusiastic binky-sucker since day 1 and that's been fine with me. I never saw a good reason to take her binky away, and then of course she got heavily addicted around the time she was 16/17 months old. As in, absolutely passionate about her binky. She would draw pictures of the family that included Mommy, Daddy, Madeline, Baby Sister, and Binky. Really.

Quite a while ago I started getting rid of her binkys one at a time, and eventually she got down to only one. I also helped her get down to sucking her binky only when she's going to sleep, never during the day. And she knows that she has to take it out when she talks so I can understand her better. When I get her from her crib, she'll say, "I'm just taking one little suck," and then put it away without a fuss. Remarkable, really, considering what an addict she has been. (Plus, I think it's a hilarious thing to say.)

We were planning on continuing business as usual until she turns three in February. Well.

Her last binky disappeared tonight. It was accidentally shoved into the cushions of our armchair and did not turn up after a full 45 minutes of searching, making us far past her usual bedtime. Madeline was really, really sad. Although she didn't cry, she kept saying plaintively, "But Mommy, I really need my binky to fall asleep." We talked a lot about life-without-a-binky and after a pep talk about falling asleep without one, I gave her a bear that I made on my mission so she could hug something special in her crib.

She went to sleep just fine, although with a heavy heart.

Dave found her binky about 15 seconds after I left her room.

I promptly hid it.

I feel a little bad for Madeline--she didn't even get to say good-bye and take one last parting suck--but she has the worst of it behind her. No need to turn back now, although I'm glad I was able to be honest tonight when I said it was lost.

I love that although not having a binky was really hard for her tonight, she was willing to step up and handle the situation with grace because she knew there was no alternative. (Her suggested alternative was to "maybe make a binky," but I truthfully told her that I don't know how.) Madeline has done that with many other things in life as well and I really love that about her.

Also, try not to smile when you look at this cute little girl. Ahhhh! I love my babies.

11 comments:

Paula said...

I laughed pretty hard when I read the "I'm just taking one little suck" part. So funny! She is such a cute girl.

DP said...

She's going to be traumatized when she reads this in a few years.

Janiebelle007 said...

She will be grateful she doesn't need it at graduation. From High School.

Anna said...

My favorite part of this post is "maybe make a binky" oh man. Everly is so addicted to the binky too. Glad it seems to be going to smoothly.

Hannah said...

Oh, I love it all! I laughed so hard and I love your girls. Can't wait to see them soon!

sarahflib said...

Mom, having it at high school graduation wouldn't be an issue because she wouldn't be going to sleep at graduation, see? I had it all figured out.

JohnP said...

Maddy, Grandpa has a bunch of fun goofy binkys at his house for you and your sister.
I'll be happy to send you as many as you need, just don't tell your Mom.

S said...

She is so mature Sarah! Holy cow! Aren't you glad you could be honest about not knowing how to make a binky...oh wait, did you tell her about her thumb?

joking.

Hillary said...

I'm glad that you found a way to kick the binky habit. We had to offer Leah a new toy in exchange for her binky just before she turned two and Cameron was born. She will definitely be okay. Just stick with it.

meg said...

I LOVE! you as a mom. So so so glad I know you and your lovely, perfect, oh so squeezable girls.

Katie M. said...

This was so encouraging to read. Finn, as you said, became addicted somewhere between 16-17 months and now it's part of life. Like, "oh-shoot-where is the binky-must-go-buy-a-new-one".

Go you. We all have something that we need to help our child grow out of!