28 April 2012

So long, Utah!


Growing up, I always imagined I would end up living on the East coast. I had no clear idea of what would take me there, but somehow I knew it would happen.

Five years ago I married a boy from Pennsylvania and suddenly, here I am.

Yes, I have traveled a lot. Yes, I have lived out here before. But this is different. Preston was always my home base before. Somehow I always went back to Provo. Now, however, I have no idea when I will be going back to an area that I really, really love. My parents left the gem state last month, and with them went our primary reason for visiting the area. And I'm sad about that.

This does not mean that I'm not super happy that Dave has a job and super excited to be starting a new experience here. I AM. But my life in Provo was pretty great and I didn't want to leave it, quite frankly. I have learned in all of my moving around that it's okay to be sad to leave a beautiful chapter of life behind as long as I don't let that stop me from fully embracing and loving the next chapter.

So. Our move.

Our moving truck left Provo on Monday and we flew to Pennsylvania on Wednesday. Paying just a bit extra for a non-stop flight was the best decision of our lives, let me tell you. Madeline was gold and Violet only had two minor breakdowns before she finally fell asleep in my arms. And it was all over in less than four hours of flight time. Madeline was watching out the window as we took off from Salt Lake, and she called out loudly, "Good-bye, mountains! I won't be seeing you for a long time!"

We were seriously a three-ring circus with all of our luggage--seven checked bags, two travel cribs, two car seats, a high chair/booster seat, a stroller, a diaper bag, two backpacks, a miscellaneous bag, Madeline's vest, and Madeline's medical bag. Those last two actually have to be carried onto the plane so they make us seem crazy no matter what.


This picture only shows a small portion of our stuff . . . it was seriously crazy. But we made it and the journey was actually quite a smooth process overall.

Our moving truck arrived in PA today but will not be delivered to our new place until Monday. That's just as well--we are pretty exhausted from a month of craziness and need a little time to relax anyway.

Speaking of relaxing . . . I'll leave you with a picture of Violet fresh from a nap. She is THRILLED that she has learned how to pull herself up to stand and loves to do it in her crib now. Her hair is getting long enough that it is all wispy and crazy but not long enough to do something with it.


Oh, I love this baby! Love the teeth, too.

11 comments:

Katie M. said...

Your middle picture is perfect proof why I am terrified to travel air with my two kids anywhere. Ha ha. I love it.

It's so weird that you're gone. The other day in Provo I thought, oh I'll just go see Sarah, then I had to remind myself that you were in Pa already.
You're right though. It's okay to bawl like a baby about leaving something behind, as long as it doesn't blind you from seeing all the blessings ahead. I personally, am vehemently jealous you are in PA, I'd give anything to go back there. You guys will have some amazing experiences.

Keep in touch though. I am really hoping we get a trip back to Philly within a year or so, so we'll plan on seeing each other.

Love you guys!

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

I'm super sad that Preston is no longer home base. When am I ever going to see you again? I've never even gotten to meet Madeline in person (and truly, I have been dying to!). But, knowing how interesting and exciting I find moving I can't completely bemoan your move. It's exciting! I hope you feel welcomed and settled in soon.

S said...

Sarah, where did your parents move to? Are they on a mission or something?

And I now have an east coast friend! When we get some money, I'm going to look up fun things to do in Pennsylvania and then come visit and then let you take me around to see all the Amish!

Hannah said...

Oh, I miss you guys sooo much it's not even funny! Are both of those baby pics Violet? The first one looks like Madeline and, come to think of it, so does the last one.

Erin Dougal said...

Waaaa! We are provo-home-sick today and this post did not help! I think we have acquired enough East Coast friends throughout the years though that someday when we are real grown ups we will come out just especially for a play date with the Peris'.

Janiebelle007 said...

I know leaving Preston sounds weird but it is a good thing. I like most of hte memories but I can't look back with regret about being here in Texas. Wish it was a mission but I guess it sort of is!

sarahflib said...

Katie--just think about how much nicer it is to fly with all that stuff than it is to cram it all into a car! So much easier in the end. And if you're not moving you don't have to take as much junk. And please do come out and visit.

Rachael--I can't believe you still haven't met Madeline! I guess I always take advantage of leaving her at my parents' house when I'm in Preston and that's why she's never come along.

Susie--my parents moved down to Texas for a job change. It is a good decision for my parents but sad for the rest of us. And please do come visit! Pennsylvania is awesome and there is tons to see/do here.

Han the Man--those are both Violet! I agree with you though.

Erin--please do! We are going to try to always have a spot for our guests. Glad to know we aren't the only ones who love Provo.

Mary Pugh said...

Oh I hear you! I have cried about leaving Boston just about every day for a week. But I love how you said it is good to be sad....it means you loved the place you were. Knowing you, you will have wonderful friends and experiences in PA in no time! Good luck with getting settled in and all the craziness moving brings.

Emily S said...

sob

Hannah said...

I first read Em's comment "son of a b."

Tyler and Rachael said...

Oh the happenings in your family. Congratulations on the job, on successfully moving that much stuff and on all the new good stuff that will be happening. So glad we got to see you last summer, as now, who knows when it will be again. Your girls are both darling and I'm looking forward to updates of life in PA. Much love.