01 June 2012

Yep, it's our yard.

This one's for you, Meg.

My house is still too crazy to take pictures. We are living in a state of highly organized chaos right now, and I'm happy with that because it is much better than floor-to-ceiling boxes and general craziness. But it's still not very conducive to showing my place to you dear people. Also my camera just broke out of the blue and I've got to find a solution to that problem.

Anyway.

My lovely sister Hannah just visited us for eight glorious days, and while she was here she helped me begin a massive project that will lead to unpacking the last of the boxes (all books): painting all of the baseboards, crown molding, windows, doorways, and built-in bookshelves in the living and dining rooms. I'm now in the middle of a painting frenzy so I can get things feeling more together . . . it's coming along.

Meanwhile, I will give you a little peek of the backyard and one of the BEST things about our place:


Our lawnmower! Our yard is truly a postage stamp. It's teeny tiny, especially compared to our yard in Provo with its beautiful shade tree. This is good and bad. One of the good things is that our yard is small enough to cut the grass with this awesome push reel lawnmower that makes me feel like we're living in the 1920s. Dave's uncle gave it to us, and we love it!


Over the past several months we've been trying to make simple lifestyle changes that also have a positive effect on our finances, and a mower that costs nothing to use (and is also quiet and environmentally friendly) fits right in with that. And of course I'm ridiculous for not knowing that people still use these push reel mowers, but I couldn't stop laughing and laughing the first time Dave busted it out. The truth is that it's really just as fast as using a regular lawnmower and a lot more fun . . . I mean, just look at that face.


This picture is what I see when I look straight out my back door. The little sidewalk on the left goes to the alley, and that building is our two-car garage with automatic door openers. That, my friends, is a serious step up for us, even if the garage is still detached. After these pictures were taken, the girls and I planted the garden so the yard looks quite a bit different now. Those window boxes are full of lettuce and the rest of the flowerbeds that you see are full of other garden goodness. There's also a pretty nice deck that you can see a corner of in one of the pictures.

All in all, the yard is small but I am so happy to still have our own outdoor space.

10 comments:

S said...

That's so cool Sarah!

But wait, did you buy the house?

sarahflib said...

Nope, we didn't buy it. Just renting for now. We are probably only going to be here for two years because that's how long this particular position is for.

DP said...

Three photos of a man mowing his lawn? I think you're at risk of losing your subscriber base.

Anna said...

How long have you been in PA and already Dave's amish tendencies are becoming more prominent.

Actually the neighborhood Joe and I are looking at (Daybreak) has tiny yards for the most part and Joe and I have talked about getting a mower like that. I think it is great.

DP said...

The best part is that it runs on fat instead of gas

Malauna said...

Ryan likes our push mower because he can mow really late at night (or really early in the morning) and not annoy the neighbors.

Emily S said...

Our neighbors across the street in South Weber had a mower like that. I had fun with it, but being as it is not self propelled, my 10 year old self had issues with it. Would have to try again. Can't wait to see the trousers you are sewing for him to wear while he mows . . .

Hannah said...

I miss you and your house.

Naomi, Art, Hyrum, Jude, and Esa said...

I Miss you!!!! And this looks perfect.

Tyler and Rachael said...

amazing and good updates. i also had no idea that such lawn mowers even existed---but glad to know you are helping the environment. your girls are, of course, darling and i am glad your sister came to help with all those boxes. you are super mom for moving with kids in tow and starting life anew. many and much love from me to you.