13 January 2013

Sixth Grade and Books I Read in 2012

My sixth grade yearbook is full of profound sentiments, such as "You're cool!" and "Have a great summer!" By far my favorite inscription, however, is this:


It's true; I do love to read. And I love that this kid felt a need to bring it to my attention. I'm sure it's no coincidence that the very same year, my friend Zac and I were chosen as the class bookworms. Goodness. While other kids were being chosen for best hair, most friendly, and most likely to succeed, they marched us down to the school library and made us take a super cheesy picture with the resident set of encyclopedias to demonstrate just how much we loved to read. Want to see it? I thought so.


Yeah. Me too. But, I have to admit that I would much rather be immortalized this way than by wearing really awful mid-90s fashion and chosen as best dressed.

About this same time, a friendly neighborhood dad, who also loved to read, started asking me if I kept track of the books that I read. I didn't, and I didn't want to. He did, and he thought I should. Well. Fast forward fifteen years and I suddenly realized how awesome it is to track what I read. I've been doing it for six years now, and I love it. I just keep a list in the back of my journal and I jot down the titles as I finish them. Super super easy and Excel is nowhere to be found.

At the end of the year, it's always interesting to look back and see how many books I ended up reading---it's always about the same, give or take a little, which surprises me since there is no rhyme or reason to what I do in the reading department and some years are much busier than others. There have been times when I used my list to respond to essay prompts for job and scholarship applications. Sometimes my list helps me give people better recommendations for good books to read. What I really love, though, is that it's a little glimpse into what was going on inside my head each year: what I learned, what I was interested in, and what I was thinking about. Just a little snippet of history to add to my journals and jog my own memory.

So, this time around I thought I'd share my final reading list for 2012, just in case you're looking for ideas. I read a few that were not even worth listing here, but this is pretty much it. No comprehensive reviews or ratings or explanations because hello, that's why I never do Goodreads. But I'll tell you which ones I liked the best and since I have impeccable taste, that counts for something. Bonus pic at the end.

Fiction
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith (Amazing! Why did I wait so long?)
  • Day after Night, by Anita Diamant (Loved this one! If you like Jewish history, you must read this.)
  • Criss-Cross, by Lynne Rae Perkins (YA lit; really liked this one)
  • The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar & Other Stories, by Roald Dahl (Loved these!)
  • Loser, by Jerry Spinelli (children's lit; very good)
  • Like Water for Chocolate, by Laura Esquivel (super interesting but wouldn't recommend it)
  • Ella Enchanted, by Gail Carson Levine (children's lit; much better than the movie)

Nonfiction
  • Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand (Really really wonderful! Loved this!)
  • The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin (Wonderful! Highly recommend this.)
  • Beyond Timeout: From Chaos to Calm, by Beth A. Grosshans (Fabulous! Changed my life as a mom.)
  • Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, by Jeff Hertzberg & Zoe Francois (Awesome ideas; need to try.)
  • Teaching Kids to Work (Should have written down author's name; got it at Provo library and author is LDS--very helpful ideas but a little beyond what I need right now.)
  • The Barber's Song, by K. Douglas Bassett (About a boy with CF--good but heavy; I skimmed some.)
  • Belinda Carlisle: Lips Unsealed, by Belinda Carlisle (This was an incredibly interesting look at the music industry in the early 1980s--very well written and surprisingly compelling.)
  • American Idol: The Untold Story, by Richard Rushfield (Goodness. This spontaneous pick from the shelf was really interesting too. I learned a ton about the television and music industry.)
  • Below Stairs, by Margaret Powell (About the life of a cook in the Downton Abbey era--really interesting stuff, although the writing style drove me a little crazy at times.)
  • The World of Downton Abbey, by Jessica Fellowes (If you like Downton Abbey, this book is actually really good! It's less behind-the-scenes than I was expecting, which was actually cool because I learned SO much about the history of that era that was both interesting and helped me understand the show better.)
  • The Jamestown Project, by Karen Kupperman (Inspired by my trip to Virginia; very interesting if you want to learn more about how America was colonized.)

Fiction Series

Why did I wait so long to read everything under the sun by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?? I loved it all and really couldn't get enough. Sherlock is just so fabulous and brilliant. Really, if you haven't read them and you like detective stories at all, you simply must go to your library now and get them all. Dave and I actually read these around the same time, and it was fun to discuss it all together. Apparently we have 1890s taste in names because there are many Violets in these stories.
  • The Adventures & Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle
  • A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Sign of the Four, by Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Return of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Valley of Fear, by Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Final Bow/Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle

If you like YA literature and dystopic novels, I can't recommend this series by Ally Condie enough. She is a brilliant writer and has such an amazing ability to write from different points of view. I had read the first two books before, but read them again when the third one came out this year so I could have the full experience with it. I couldn't stop feeling for the characters and thinking about the books for days. I also highly recommend the fiction she has published for the LDS market through Deseret Book. Did I mention that you should REALLY read these books if you like YA literature?
  • Matched, by Ally Condie
  • Crossed, by Ally Condie
  • Reached, by Ally Condie

Did you read The Giver long ago? Did you like it? If so, PLEASE read it again and then read these three books! They are all companion books and they are simply fabulous. So thought provoking. And I really do think it's best if you read them all at once, so you can catch all of the overlapping details.
  • Gathering Blue, by Lois Lowry
  • The Messenger, by Lois Lowry
  • Son, by Lois Lowry

Maybe it was the year of the detective for us? Not sure. All I know is that I read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency several years ago and really liked it, but for some reason didn't feel compelled to read more in the series. Well, I read it again and I fell in love with the characters this time. I'm not sure what was different, but I read the whole series and simply loved the books. They are engaging, sometimes very funny, and actually so wise about life. Plus it was so interesting to learn about the culture of Botswana. Dave also read most of them recently, and we find a surprising number of occasions to refer to Mma Ramotswe and life in Botswana.
  • The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Tears of a Giraffe, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Morality for Beautiful Girls, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Kalahari Typing School for Men, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Full Cupboard of Life, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • In the Company of Good Women, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Blue Shoes and Happiness, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Tea Time for the Traditionally Built, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • The Double Comfort Safari Club, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party, by Alexander McCall Smith
  • The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection, by Alexander McCall Smith

Madeline as Ladybug Girl, one of her favorite literary characters from 2012.


P.S. Would love to hear about any stand-out books that you read last year!

21 comments:

Marybeth said...

I feel like a pathetic reading loser when I see your list. I can't really remember what I've read last year, but I am certain it's nowhere near as impressive as yours (I have read loads of medical journals which should count for something). I love the detective agency books--especially how Miss Makutsi's shoes talk to her.

I also love the pic. Just so you know I am pretty sure I was voted best hair. I rocked a perm that year.

Marybeth said...

P.s. have you read any Gary Schmidt? Love him. If not I have some recommendations for you! Who am I kidding? Who haven't you read--maybe Stephanie Meyer?

sarahflib said...

You WERE voted best hair! You and Chance Porter. It's a sassy picture of him holding up a handful of your hair. Love it.

I haven't read any Gary Schmidt--thanks for the idea. And I love the shoes bit too. So funny.

S said...

That is an amazing list Sarah! I wonder if you'd like Joy in the morning also by the author of a tree grows in brooklyn. It wasn't nearly as amazing, but still an interesting read. Also, some of Anita Diamant's history interpretations were incorrect and skewed in that book, but I still really enjoyed it and only picked up on it because I'm so intense about the details and theories of WWII Israel etc. I wouldn't recommend the Red Tent though!

Also, I just read the first book of "Call the Midwife" and I really really liked it! About midwives in 1950s London's poor East End. I am re-reading Clan of the Cave Bear because I have too many fines at the library and not enough money to pay them off, so I figured I'd reread all my books I own since I've forgotten why I liked some of them so much. And I'm a few chapters into Alexander Mccall's book and liked it but haven't loved it, I'll keep giving it a try. I want just a really really good read.

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

There are companion novels to The Giver?! That is one of my favorite books ever. I'll be sure to hunt those down.
What a worthwhile list! I'll be referring to it often as I deem you to be a person of literary taste. That is an impressively long list, by the way. And I super love it that you were voted a bookworm. :)

Mike and Shara said...

Thanks for posting! I love getting book ideas from people. Have you read the Divergent books by Veronica Roth. I just finished the first one and am waiting on the second from my library. They are another YA fiction dystopian-society type series.

Hannah said...

Ummm...I think your list is more books than I've read in my entire life. I love you. I would recommend something, but I always make you tell me what to read.

Janiebelle007 said...

Marybeth, you do have nice hair. And yes, those medical journals count. Just not as things to reccommend. It just gives the rest of us diseases we don't really have! Thanks, Sarah! I needed some ideas. I need to hit the library. I think I read Unbroken but I can't remember a thing. Crazy, huh?

JohnP said...

Great list Sarah,
I did the same thing in Jr. High

Like Water for Chocolate
Love that book, it changed my life.
Wonderful movie too, especially in Spanish

Julie W said...

A girl after my own heart! There are some books for me to try. Have you read the Maisie Dobbs series? And MB is right--find The Wednesday Wars and Okay for Now by Garry Schmidt if you haven't done so. I just finished Son--wow! I can't wait for the Newbery announcements in a couple of weeks. I'm always open for recommendations.

sarahflib said...

Alright, this is great. I haven't read ANYTHING that you guys have recommended thus far, so you've given me some great ideas. Thank you so much. Julie, I too was completely blown away by "Son"--wow. (Just published this year, Rachael.) And Susie, I think the first book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series is a little slower to get into altogether. I really can't pinpoint why . . . but I think if you keep going (through the first book and on to the second), you'll really enjoy them. Thanks again, everyone! Would love to hear more.

krista jo said...

You are inspiring! I made a goal to read at least one book a month!! ha!

I am going to write down some of your recommendations, so thanks!

Paula said...

Hi Sarah! Thanks for posting what books you've read this year! I love hearing what other people are reading and got some ideas from your list. Of the books I read this year my favorites were probably Entwined (Heather Dixon) and Edenbrooke (Julianne Donaldson). Heist Society (Ally Carter)has been an interesting YA series so far and I also enjoyed The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks (E. Lockhart). They're all pretty quick and light reads but that's what I've been reading lately (sleep deprivation has changed my reading habits :)).

Janiebelle007 said...

If you haven't read "The Glass Castle or "Half-Broke Horses" you should try those. I loved them. I need to start writing down what I read.

DP said...

I highly recommend Preliminary Objections in International Adjudication: Procedural Tools on Forum Shopping before International Tribunals.

Christie said...

I rarely read a book twice. The Book Thief was an exception for me.

sarahflib said...

Krista--I love your goal. :) Whatever level of reading keeps you learning and happy is great. Paula--Great ideas, thanks!. Mom--I've read "Glass Castle" (and thought it was fabulous) but not the other one. Will look into it. Dave--my eyes glazed over about two words into the title. Bad sign?

Christie--"The Book Thief" is worth making an exception for! Wow, that book blows me away. I'm selective about what I read more than once, but I do love to re-read a top-notch book. I find that my experience the second time around is different, and sometimes a lot deeper, because I'm free to make connections I didn't notice the first time around. I know a lot of people who fall into your camp, though. :)

Julie W said...

I can't resist another idea. First read the books your mom recommended--so good. Since you are on a Sherlock Holmes kick, you must read The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King.

Carrie said...

I had to check my reading history. I just read a good one called "Bone River." If you have amazon prime you can get it for free in the lending library.

I also enjoyed "Midnight in Austenland" (fun fluff) by Shannon Hale, "Canning for a New Generation" (a cookbook), "Those Who Save us" by Jenna Bloom (WWII/Holocaust) and "The Ballad of Tom Dooley" (mystery based on actual events) by Sharyn McCrumb.

Carrie said...

Oh and how could I forget "The Language of Flowers"? Very very good.

sarahflib said...

Thanks, Julie and Carrie! I'm excited to look into these ideas.