17 January 2013

FAQ: Does Madeline go to preschool?


It's quite possible that Madeline is the only three-year-old in our privileged country who is not attending a formal preschool. I'm sure that's not actually true, but that's the sense I get when I talk to pretty much . . . anyone. (An aside: I find it very very odd how many people have asked if I'm home schooling, simply because Madeline does not go to preschool. She THREE, people. I am not keeping her home from anything.) If we still lived in Provo with five million three-year-olds within a four-block radius, I'm sure we would be participating in some type of neighborhood preschool. Our social network here in PA has not yet uncovered enough kids to make something like that happen, however, so this year I didn't even bother thinking about arranging a preschool.

But. I still want plenty of opportunities for Madeline to get excited about learning and experimenting and exploring the world around her, and I want her to start learning how to interact with others and follow group instructions. Dance class fills part of this role for us, and I'm actively learning from fabulous preschool teachers online so I can foster the right type of creative learning at home. And as luck would have it, I stumbled into an amazing nature class for preschoolers, offered once a month by our local county heritage center. It is FABULOUS. For only five dollars each time, the kids explore a specific topic in nature and see all kinds of specimens and examples. The teacher is great at introducing different games and activities to help the kids connect the dots and have a ton of fun while they are learning.

Today they learned about owls. They got to see (and touch!) real owl wings and talons, along with seeing several actual owl specimens. They heard all the different owl calls made by owls in Pennsylvania. They played games that taught them about what owls eat. And they even got to dissect owl pellets. I remember doing that in elementary school, but I wouldn't have thought to do it with Madeline at the tender age of three. She loved it, though. Some of the kids were too squeamish to enjoy it, but she thought it was awesome and dug right in to find the different bones and match them up against her bone chart.


Violet usually has a very good time at nature preschool as well, although today was a little trickier for her and she only made it through the dissecting portion with the help of some animal crackers. Not enough good cheer left for a camera smile, though.


By the time we got home from running an errand after the class, she was ready to express her full disapproval. Ha ha. I just think this picture is so funny because she's usually in such a good mood and loves to smile, but she's also getting so so good at letting me know with her facial expressions that she doesn't like something. At any rate, it was a fun morning for everyone and I'm so happy that I found this nature preschool class last fall. It has been an absolutely perfect fit for us, and it's a ton of fun for Miss Madeline.

16 comments:

Anna said...

Sounds perfect! Evie's only in preschool so I can study (and get a break now that she doesn't nap!). I think preschool is pretty unnecessary for kids with educated, engaged parents, but I feel really lucky Evie gets that sociization since she's an only child with no siblings. I think nature class & ballet sounds perfect for your little lady.

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

I do preschool at home myself. But even if I didn't, I wouldn't put my children in a formal preschool setting. I completely agree with Anna - it's just unnecessary for children of educated, engaged parents. Sounds like you've got some GREAT things going with Madeline. It also sounds like she's quite bright - likely brilliant, just like her parents. :)

sarahflib said...

Thanks, ladies. I totally agree that it makes a difference to have parents who are educated and engaged. Kids in that situation don't need preschool for academic reasons. (Then again, do any kids that age need preschool for academic reasons? A question for my sister Emily.) That said, I would LOVE to send Madeline to a good preschool next year if we can afford it (which probably won't happen because they are way expensive here), simply because she would have a blast and be stimulated in so many ways that I just can't do at home. Things that require more supplies or more people and group work. That's one reason I love the nature class--I don't have stuffed owls at home, and I'm not going to be buying replicas of turkey scat to show the kids what it's like. Of course she would be fine without all of that, but it's awesome and she loves it, and I think it's teaching her how exciting it is to learn. And of course we can all bring that excitement to our own homes whether we are formally doing preschool at home or not. Sounds like you guys have that down. :)

S said...

That's funny because I think preschool is heaven's gift to mothers! Especially if they have some stinkers on their hands. Everyone asks me if I homeschool because I have five kids. I think homeschool can be a euphemism for "totally strange ways to raise kids" when people ask questions like that. Sarah, you should look for a co-op preschool that should bring the price down a ton.

Janiebelle007 said...

Some of our kids did it nd some not. I sent each of you for different reasons. Sarah didn't go. I think she's pretty well established. Home school was not for me. Kayla, however, is now doing BYU high school on line. I had her in preschool and she hated it. She said she dropped out. Just so we meet the needs of each one it's ok. And I want to go to that nature pre-school!

sarahflib said...

Susie, I totally love that about preschool being heaven's gift to mothers! I'm sure it's awesome to have those couple of hours every week. I haven't had any luck finding any co-op preschools so far. It seems like there has to be something around here, but no one that I've talked to has any idea. Maybe I should call the preschools directly and ask if they know of anything. There are a lot of preschools run by churches, but even those are nearly $200 a month.

And Mom, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who didn't do at least some form of preschool/joy school. For some reason I always felt bad about that growing up, even though I realize(d) that I was fine. Like I said before, Madeline would have a blast with it, so I'm totally open to a good preschool situation if one comes along. I'm also so happy that I've found some really great community resources along the way. Happy kids, happy home. That's what we're all going for, right?

Carrie said...

Sarah, you are right, preschool co-ops in PA just don't exist! If you move down to Lancaster I am forming a mixed age field trip/play group for next year. It will be sort of homeschool but since we follow a Waldorf pedagogy, academics aren't started until 7. We cant afford another year of Waldorf school but we totally would if we could because, like you said, we just don't have the resources to do all the cool stuff they do there.

Cindy said...

your girls are so cute! I am not educated or engaged, my 3 yr old kids don't go to preschool. So far my oldest has made it to 4th grade and has A's. You are doing the perfect thing. Enjoy this time while you can.

Janiebelle007 said...

Sorry Sarah. I didn't mean to make your formative years full of disappointment. On the other hand, you got to attend joy school when it was at our house and when it wasn't you had me to yourself. That's pretty cool, Right?

sarahflib said...

Carrie, that sounds like a really cool group. Definitely something we would like to be involved with if we move down to Lancaster.

Cindy, you are hilarious as always. I do love having the kids home all the time and not worrying about taking them places. It's fabulous. Ha ha, Mom, I wouldn't call my early years full of disappointment. I unfortunately have never remembered the tag-along joy school, but I'm sure it was great at the time! And it's such a gift for a girl to have some alone time with her mama, it's true.

Emily S said...

Yes, there are children who need preschool for academic reasons. Most of them because their parents don't make sure they learn anything. I'm not talking full-on internet-braggable laminated and sitting down activities, I'm talking they don't even read to or really converse with their children. These kids come to school not even knowing the letters in their names and have limited vocabularies. Also, some kids have disabilities for which early intervention is crucial. For all of the above kids, preschool is crucial part of their possible future success. For the rest of the kids . . . preschool sure can be awesome if it's done right! All children have a lot to gain from it. If it's done right. But, when the cost gets crazy, most kids will be fine without it. Dance, nature time, library time, church, play groups and friends . . . gets the job done. Without even one laminated object. (Say what? Yeah.)

sarahflib said...

What, I don't need to buy a laminator?? Nicely said, Em. I guess I specifically meant whether regular three-year-olds would need preschool for academic reasons, but I suppose the same criteria apply whether they are three or four years old? I just think the schooling trend is getting pushed earlier and earlier--it seems like preschool used to be only for kids who were four, and now three seems to be becoming standard. At any rate, I completely agree that all children have a lot to gain from it if it's done right.

Emily S said...

Yes, the same criteria apply whether they are 3 or 4. Sadly, kids who dwell in a non-stimulating environment are behind by the time they are 2. Just gets worse as time goes on. This is not to freak out parents. Nobody reading this comment probably has this apply. Do you talk to your child? Read to them? Do they accompany you as you live your life? Then you're good. Also, for things like autism, the earlier the better! As far as publicly-funded programs to help at-risk toddlers and preschoolers, I much favor the ones that do home visits and help parents gain skills to be parents. That's where the biggest impact will come.

Agreed on push-down curriculum. That's one reason I'm so pro-preschool these days, because preschool is now what kindergarten used to be. Sadly, sadly. I hate it, and did a lot of fighting for kids when I was a teacher, but there is not a trend of reversal in sight, so those of us who know just have to do our best. Josh gets jealous of what we do in preschool . . . because he should still be doing it. All children/people should to some degree. There is a balance of high expectations and developmental appropriateness that combines with engaging content to create the perfect stage for learning at all levels. Anyway, gotta stop. :)

sarahflib said...

Thanks for the insights, Em! You know I would gladly be an early childhood educator in another life, so I love learning from you.

krista jo said...

Loved reading these comments, such great info!

And thanks for the binky tips . . . I will need them soon!

Heather said...

Sweet babes! We miss them SO SO much! I seriously can't believe how much they've grown!

Also, are you homeschooling?

jk :)