Lovebirds, Fall 2006
Yes, let's. I have certainly done a lot of embarrassing things in my lifetime, but only a select few have left me rattled for more than a few minutes. This one went straight to the top.
I returned from my mission in August 2006 and moved back to Provo a few weeks later to begin my final semester at BYU. Dave was also in Provo at the time. We had dated off-and-on before my mission and were definitely off when I left, although we decided to write each other occasionally. While I was gone, he tried to get married and I tried to forget him. Neither one really worked.
So, like a smart guy, Dave welcomed me back to town after my mission and asked me out for a lunch date. I don't think either of us was really hoping to start dating again; that was in the past. Mostly we wanted to meet on our own terms and avoid awkwardly running into each other at a party or in the grocery store, as was bound to happen eventually.
We had a fun time at lunch. It got me thinking about him again, of course. And since I had never really stopped being in love with him, I couldn't help but contact him again. I think we saw each other a few more times and had a lot of fun, and then I got scared again. Please don't ask me to explain the hows or whys of this, but I decided that I needed to tell him no, never mind, this is never going to work and I can't see you again. So I told him we needed to talk, and that's essentially the message I delivered.
At this point I should have been a little embarrassed for issuing such a preemptive declaration, but I wasn't because I didn't realize we were in such different head spaces at the time. While I had been gone for 19 months and had essentially pressed the pause button on our relationship in some respects, he had been dating and having new experiences and, well, moving on in a way that I simply couldn't while I wasn't dating or even thinking about dating anyone else. Of course Dave was very kind about it all, because that's the kind of guy he is, but he basically told me, "Thanks, but I hadn't even been thinking that far ahead anyway."
Later on, I was feeling awful about our discussion and eventually decided I had made a big mistake. After a lot of agonizing and soul-searching, I realized that I really was in love with Dave on many levels and needed to give our relationship a chance to thrive before writing it off altogether. One night when I was tossing and turning in bed and just couldn't sleep because I had too much on my mind, I decided to send him an e-mail and revoke my earlier statements. So I did. And I also poured out my heart and confessed my love and explained why I had been oh-so-wrong and asked him to think about dating me again. Pressing "send" was one of the hardest things I had ever done in my life. It really took guts. But I did it and went to sleep feeling so much happier and lighter.
Unfortunately, Dave had decided to take me at my word that we really needed to cut off contact with each other. Enter his love for figuring out tricks with Gmail. He decided to have any e-mails from me automatically forwarded to his roommate. That way he wouldn't even be aware of any communication from me, but in the event that something truly important happened, his roommate could screen the messages and let him know.
Let's just say that his roommate forwarded my e-mail straight to Dave and said, "I think you should read this one." And I really, truly, wanted to fall in a hole and be buried alive when I found out. Six and a half years later, I'm over it enough that I'm telling you this story . . . but I still can't bear to even look at that e-mail, much less read it again or really even think about the specifics of what I wrote.
12 comments:
Baaaaahaaahaaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Good story. I was rooting for you guys all along! I remember seeing you in Maceys sometime during this awkward time and still hoping it wasn't "definitely" over. :) You guys are perfect for each other. :)
That is funny :)
However, having spent quite a bit of time with Dave during that interim, I can say he was definitely planning to date, and hopefully to marry you, whatever he said! I knew all about you, especially when you were coming home. He talked about you all the time, joked about stopping by your mission, and casually studied German! As casual and cool as he might have acted, he was thinking and feeling more than he said!
Whatever the case, we're sure glad it worked out; you two are great together.
I LOVE this story. That was great. And I"m so thrilled to see my sunflower afghan blanket over the couch was still alive and well in 2006. Kyle and I sat on it at an outdoor movie for our first date. It has special magic. :)
I'm so glad you shared this! One of the best stories I've ever heard. :)
Poor Dave tried to move on but he was still so hopelessly hooked on you. I was like "dude, she left, move on!" and I'm so glad I was wrong, you guys are perfect together.
I remember going to the drive-in movies in PA on what felt like a more-than-awkward three way date with you and Dave. I hadn't seen him in forever and he didn't even tell me anybody else was coming - LOL! Awkward! I feel so bad that our first time meeting each other was that way. But this post explains a lot. I'm glad Dave has such a phenomenal wife and look forward to a much better meeting you again soon, Sarah!
I love this, too. And I concur with everything people have said--Dave was completely smitten and wanted to be with you more than anyone else, ever. I know one of his previous roommates really well, so I have it on good authority. Did you know Dave considered dating me for 5 seconds, and didn't feel right about it? Wonder why:). Also, proof that Dave picked the right girl: I served a mission for 17 1/2 months, and you served for 19 months. Therefore, you were the better choice! I am happy to report that my husband also cut corners with his mission and served for 23 months. Rather than the standard 3 1/2 years of missionary service two returned missionaries typically bring to the table, we bring in a healthy 3 1/4 years of service. And we're so proud. I really do feel lucky to keep tabs on you through the blog.
That is so funny Sarah! Oh the drama of trying to date and marry!
@Michelle--I had no idea that blanket was yours! It was just a permanent fixture of the apartment. Thanks for leaving the good luck for me.
@Tara--Hilarious. My extra six weeks clearly give me a spiritual edge. I always remember that we were on the same Valentine's date--your first date with Doug and my first date with Dave when he actually liked me.
The email of shame none of us knew about - soooo funny!
This is hilarious. Remember when I yelled at you for contacting the boy with the broken heart? And then when you called crying that you felt so bad you told him not ever? And I said CALL HIM? Yep, the mom's always right half the time.
Post a Comment