Today marks the fourth anniversary of when my daughter Madeline was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. After her first CF anniversary, I wrote several detailed installments about our journey to finding a diagnosis, which you can find here, here, here, and here. As long as it is, that series is still missing the final installment. I was never able to write that last bit, partly because life got really busy and mostly because after a lot of emotional progress and only a year into our CF journey, I didn't feel like taking myself back to those raw emotions. Well, today still isn't the day I'm going to finish that series. But I do want to commemorate Madeline's fourth CF anniversary by offering you a peek into my own experience as we went through those first difficult but beautiful months of Madeline's life.
I used to lick my baby. The first time I did it, she was only
five and a half pounds—still several ounces shy of her birth weight at a time
when she should have been well past it. I had just finished cleaning both of us
up after yet another meal had ended with projectile vomiting, and the skin
folds on her scrawny legs, just waiting to be filled out with fat, were a
glaring reminder that my baby was simply not growing. That even though she ate
and ate and ate, she was still smaller than she had been when she hollered her
way into the world four weeks earlier.
Although many people dismissed my concerns, implying that I
was an overly hyper new mother and telling me that all babies grow at their own
rate, a few medical professionals had tentatively mentioned cystic fibrosis (or
CF), a disease I was only mildly familiar with. I had known that it is a lung
disease caused by thick, sticky mucus in the body, but not that it also causes
severe digestive issues and makes it impossible to absorb fat and other nutrients
without supplemental enzymes.
It was also news to me that people with cystic fibrosis often
taste salty because they secrete too much salt when they sweat. Once I found
out, I couldn’t resist testing it out. I could just lick my baby and put all
this nonsense to rest.
That first morning, I picked her up, kissed her on the
forehead, and let my lips linger for a moment, breathing in her sweet new baby
smell before tentatively sticking out my tongue and touching her forehead. Relief
washed over me: she wasn’t salty. At least, I didn’t think she was salty. I wasn’t in the habit of licking people, so
maybe I just didn’t know what to expect. I licked her again. Still not salty.
For the next several weeks, as we visited the pediatrician
weekly and tried everything to help her gain weight, I held this moment in the back
of my mind as hope that my baby would, in fact, just suddenly start growing
like other babies and not have anything seriously wrong at all. I couldn’t
resist licking her now and then, just to see if something had changed. She was
never salty.
When she was eight weeks old, we were transferred to a
specialty nutrition clinic, where they were impressed that we had already
eliminated all of the usual reasons for a newborn’s lack of growth. The doctors
there ordered a sweat test to check for cystic fibrosis, which came back
inconclusive because she had not sweat enough, and a fecal elastase test, which
showed she needed to take enzymes to digest her food. As soon as we started
giving the enzymes to her, she put on two pounds in two weeks.
One day I got my baby up from a nap and noticed that her
hair was a bit damp around her temples. She had finally gotten fat enough to
sweat. I hesitated only briefly before licking her: she was salty. Relief
washed over me again. Finally, we could get a real answer as to why she was
struggling and help her begin to thrive. It wasn’t a surprise when, at ten
weeks old, her test results for cystic fibrosis came back positive.
Since that day, I have felt a huge range of emotions about
her diagnosis with cystic fibrosis. I have cried a lot. I have felt overwhelmed
a lot. But today, I am simply grateful that she is a funny, brilliant four-year-old
girl who is just like any other four-year-old girl. She is active and strong
and healthy. And although we spend a couple of hours each day doing treatments
that keep her that way, I am grateful that when people find out she has cystic
fibrosis, they most often say, “But she looks so normal! You would never know
by looking at her that anything is wrong.”
No, you wouldn’t. Because she is normal. She just has this one little problem called CF.
10 comments:
Better that normal she is one awesome healthy smart kid. I loved seeing those tiny Madeleine pics to remind me of her newborn cuteness. She's so blessed to have such loving attentive parents. As someone who was your roommate I know how good you are at routine and I can only imagine how that blesses Madeline's life to have such a diligent and routine oriented mom who gets all those treatments in like clockwork. Hang in there Sarah (and Dave) and we'll all hope and pray for continued CF treatment improvements throughout her life.
We love you guys and hope we can come out for a trip back east someday and let our girls play together. Miss you!
Wow, her Violet sticker carries so much meaning now! Aw, Madeline, such a cutie. Can't wait til you guys come here. By the way, when Madeline was getting diagnosed, I would wake up in a panic quite frequently and run in to lick my kids. Look what she inspired. :)
I remember the day vividly. I was at a track meet over on the west side with Kayla. You cried and I cried and you asked me "Who threw THAT genetic dice"? I'm sorry I was one who threw it but I am not sorry to have Madeline. She is so wonderful and awesome and because of whatever we have all learned so much and we have been so grateful that you are her mother. Not that you have a child with CF but that you are such a good mom for a child that does. And no one can surpass Dave as a daddy. I love Madeline, and have been known to lick her just to see if it is real.
Thanks, Anna! You know you're welcome anytime. We're coming out in June/July and will have to get together for sure.
Em, I've thought that about the Violet sticker too. We could have saved ourselves a lot of trouble coming up with Violet's name if we had just looked at the signs.
And Mom, you didn't throw it either. It's not like you asked to carry that particular gene. Also, these days you have to settle for kissing Madeline's forehead to see if she's salty--licks kind of weird her out, which is probably good.
Four years ago I remember reading this on your blog and instantly texting my sisters and mom. We were all worried about you and your sweet baby (love the newborn pic--such a beauty). I am not at all surprised at how great she is doing. Incredible medical advances coupled with stellar parents is the recipe for success!
p.s. I hope she isn't "normal." Her mother certainly isn't. I personally think being a little (or a lot in my case) abnormal is the best way to be!
Aw, I just love little Madeline. I am sitting in my office crying because of how much she means to me. Thanks for having a cool kid and for being such a good mom to her. You're the best she could ever hope for! I still remember Sarah Waggoner saying, "I used to think it was so unfair for this to happen to Sarah and Dave because they are such good people. Then I realized that the Lord gave them Madeline because He knew they, of all people, because they are such good people, could do this."
"Not that I'm in the habit of licking people." haha
Madeline is perfect in every way and whenever I think of you guys I say a prayer for her.
It's amazing the range of emotions you experience as a mother, especially when you see your baby faced with struggles. In my own experiences, losing my first son and then watching, waiting and praying with my second one in the NICU, I know what it means to feel completely helpless. Thanks to incredible advancements in medicine and technology there are things we can do. Thank you for sharing this with us. Sometimes I think we each need an inside peek at what someone else's world is like in order to be grateful for our own burdens and hardships. After all, the saying goes that if we all put our trials into a pile and then each got to pick out which ones we'd have, we'd go and pick our own. Perhaps it's because it's what we know and truly, in every heartache and heartbreak, there are miracles and blessings that make those experiences something we survive, but an opportunity for growth. Again, thanks for your words. You inspire me!
Oh, Sarah. If there were a perfect mom, it would be you. I miss you guys so much. Your priorities are what I wish mine were, you and Dave are so perfect for your sweet girls. I have been trying to put a blog post together about everything that's been happening in the past year and it is soo hard and I feel like I could never really explain it. I look up to you a lot and I'm grateful for your example and your friendship. Love you guys!!
She really is so darling and seems to have grown and developed just fine. I'm NO expert at parenting, not even close! But my one piece of advice to all parents, old and new: trust your gut and your Mommy instincts. Doctors and other parents can think you're paranoid all they want, but you're the one who has to lose sleep at night, wondering about if your baby is okay. I bet you are so happy that you listened! She's darling.
Post a Comment