Hazel and Jacob
Each of our babies has a 1 in 4 chance of having cystic fibrosis. So far we have elected not to do an amniocentesis during pregnancy to find out whether our babies have CF. At this point, knowing wouldn't really change anything for us, and even though the risk of amniocentesis is small, there's still a risk that feels unnecessary. Instead, we collect the baby's cord blood at birth and send it off for genetic testing.
That's great, and the baby doesn't even have to get poked, but it still leaves us wondering for 3-4 weeks after the birth what the results will be. That's after already wondering for 9 months. Honestly, when I'm pregnant I try not to think about it too much because obviously worrying won't change anything. But once the baby arrives and is actually depending on his or her pancreas to survive, it's just impossible not to think about it.
So here are some of that things that go through my mind while we're waiting:
- Phew. She's passing meconium. That's a good sign. If she has CF, at least she doesn't have a bowel blockage. (This occurs in about 18 percent of babies with CF.)
- Are her stools turning yellow yet? Please, please, please turn yellow. Oh good. They turned yellow. Now please stay yellow.
- Do those diapers look like they have mucus in them? Hmm, hard to say. I think they look normal, but it's been a while since I looked at a newborn diaper.
- Did she gain any weight since we checked a couple of days ago? Oh good, another ounce. That's great. Please, baby, keep growing. (Yes, we have a baby scale.)
- She's 11 days old and she hasn't started projectile vomiting . . . Madeline was 10 days old when the vomiting started, so this is a good sign.
- Fabulous, she re-gained her birth weight and she's not quite two weeks! She's not growing super quickly, but she's certainly growing. Keep it up, baby!
- Does she taste salty? No, but then again, newborns don't really sweat anyway. Hmm.
- She's a little bit fussy tonight. Normal fussy or having-severe-gut-pain fussy?
- She gained a few more ounces!
- Is that the beginning of a double chin? And look at her thighs; it seems like they're starting to fill out just a bit.
And so on. This isn't a constant internal dialogue. We aren't fretting over this every day or losing sleep over it. But we think about it, and we talk about it, and we watch for the signs so we can be prepared and know when to seek more help.
Four more days.
5 comments:
Waaah! I'm praying for you no matter what. That's a huge thing to think about while you are going through all these things. She's adorable and I love her!
I'm with Susie! (At least...I think that's Susie.) prayers for you and cute little Hazel.
Yes Eliza, you are with me!
Thinking of you as you wait.
I'm just seeing the picture at the top of your blog, I love it! I miss you and your family, Sarah! You guys are the greatest! And your baby is the cutest!
Post a Comment