I absolutely, completely love my life. Why the good mood? Lots of reasons, really. I like my publishing classes. I have a fantastic job. My baby kicks me. The weather has been beautiful lately. My husband has started speaking to the baby in whale. All of these are good things, but they're not the reason for my overwhelming state of happiness at the moment. That would be: My dream of eating Pico-Ballas once again finally came true!Pico-Ballas (pictured above) are a type of candy made by Haribo, meaning they are most readily available in Germany or other places where a plethora of Haribo is sold. We all know that Haribo gummy bears and colas are all over the place, which is a real advance in American society, but I was afraid Pico-Ballas would be difficult to find. And they are.
First I discovered you can purchase a 12-pack through Amazon for only $12! That's actually a really great deal . . . until you take your shopping cart to the checkout and realize they're going to charge $12 for shipping as well. Yes, I said TWELVE DOLLARS for shipping, the cost of the actual product. There's no way Pico-Ballas are that heavy . . . and no way I'm paying that much for shipping, intense as my cravings may be.
Anyway, through the power of Google I eventually discovered a store in Salt Lake called World Market that sells Picco-Ballas. It's not in a super convenient location for my daily travels, but Dave and I finally made it there after the Saturday sessions of general conference. To our dismay, the store had discontinued Pico-Ballas a short time earlier. Thwarted again. Hope was fading.
And then I discovered one small, out-of-the-way place that actually does sell Pico-Ballas: the Benson Grist Mill in Stansbury Park, Utah. Not a place you would probably go searching for your Haribo needs, but that would be a mistake. They honestly have the largest selection of Haribo products that I have ever seen this side of the Atlantic Ocean. My dear co-worker cleaned out their entire stock of Pico-Ballas for me when she stopped by the mill on her way home from work.
And now I am officially in heaven.
10 comments:
I wonder how you say Pico-Balla in whale?
i am totally thrilled for you with this find. I never really got onto them, to be honest-- to your disappointment, but Hairbo anything I'd trust my life on.
Baby will also be thankful you found these little treasures. Enjoy.
Looks like she beat me to it! I don't know why I'm not enjoying my proximity to the place as I should.
You are a good girl. I'd have seen them on Amazon and decided it was the only way to get them and $24 and I would have parted company. I'd like to know how you say Pico-Balla in English.
You can buy me some anytime. I accept gifts.
I agree with Hannah.
Way to persevere Sarah! Let's see if I remember this right..I doubt it but here goes
"Haribo macht kinder fro and (this is where I lose it)erwachsenessen abenso" How'd I do?
You're good, Mary. I'm impressed that you still remember. It's "Haribo macht Kinder froh und Erwachsene ebenso." You're probably pronouncing it right and it's just the spelling that makes it tricky.
Hi Sarah! I hope you don't mind, but I found your blog through Kylie Kelley Madsen. I'm your old Aca-Deca chum, Megan Gleason Swenson. I'm so excited that you are expecting a baby girl, I just had a baby boy we named Cooper at the end of August. I'm glad life is going well for you, and I think it is so great you are working on the Joseph Smith Papers...I'm jealous! I taught Jr. High English for a year before settling down to be a mom, but I can't wait to go back. My blog is private, but if you'll e-mail me your e-mail address, I'd love to add you. I hope you don't mind me popping in a comment every now and then! My e-mail is megswens@gmail.com. It was great to see what you've been up to!
I wish I wish I wish that I too could enjoy the wonderful sweetness that is Pico-bella balls. Too bad I live in Cedar.
Post a Comment