29 October 2008

Pants, Glorious Pants


This picture is an ode to my sister Hannah. It was taken just after I serenaded her with "Sixteen, It's a Magical Age" on her sixteenth birthday. The two of us had a fabulous time last night. I desperately wanted a cute pair of jeans that are compatible with my expanding figure, and she was cool enough to come along for the fun. It's nice to go shopping not just with a girl, but with a girl who has sound opinions about clothes. And I'm pretty sure it's the only time in my life that I've been excited to pick up a pair of pants with a stretchy waistband . . . but I digress.

We went to the largest dressing room available with a stack of jeans about fifteen high. Luckily there was a comfortable couch for Hannah to lounge on while she critiqued my pants because we were in there forever. Wow, there are some unattractive pants out there! By the end it was clear that Motherhood Maternity caters to the tastes of absolutely everyone who could be having children, whether nineteen or forty-five. It wasn't hard to rule out the floods or the emo or the grandma varieties, but I was definitely glad Han was there for the rest, especially since maternity pants are such a commitment.

Halfway through the event Hannah noticed a fake baby belly hanging in the dressing room and decided to try stuff on right along with me. Best decision of the night. I don't really see how those fake bellies help anyone make a wise decision about clothing--it just looked like she strapped a lumpy pillow to her stomach--but it was hilarious. We snapped a tender picture of our bellies touching, thinking it would be a good keepsake for the kids someday. And then we remembered Hannah's not really having a kid.

12 comments:

Helena said...

ya, i think they just keep all styles, decade after decade. try the sales rack (regular price is too much) at gap baby, in the back is maternity. Mimi maternity at the Gateway is more stylish too. I would definitely do the type with the short elastic, they will fit longer. those that have elastic up over the belly don't work as well.
Just in case you even wanted advice.

Helena said...

and why not the picture with you bellies touching?
it couldn't've been embarrasing

Kaitlin said...

oh the joy of pregnancy pants! they are sooooooo comfortable. i had a hard time converting back to normal people pants. so enjoy it while it lasts!

Kylie said...

I'm so glad that the 16 song still is alive a well with the Gibby's. I tried to sing it to my sister when she turned 16 and I don't think she thought it was too cool. I still remeber the day you played it for my birthday. It was magical.

Emily S said...

They cater to GRANDMAS having babies? Wow! I also vote to see the pic. And I never understood the belly. Can't people wait until they actually have one to shop?

Anna said...

this post made me smile....mostly because I'd forgotten about "Sixteen is a magical age" lol.

Katie M. said...

you braved motherhood maternity, huh? COngrats. THat is a major step in pregnany I think- a good one showing maturity and ripage.


So, did you end up getting any pants?? I made the purchase of some yucky stretchy waist band things.. best decision I made come weeks eh, 35-41.

Tyler and Rachael said...

maternity pants make a whole world of difference.....congratulations on your new purchase!! excited to see you on saturday---yahoo!!!

Hannah said...

Sarah Jane Gibby Peris, I love you! Thanks for the special blog dear. I promise to never delete those tender pics from my phone. ti amo!

Mary Pugh said...

I love reading your blog Sarah... you are hilarious! Congrats on the bigger belly!

Sheena said...

I love shopping with my sisters too. In fact I don't usually do any shopping until one of them can go with me. :) It sounds like you two had fun!

DP said...

I'm just sorry you didn't decide to go emo. Prego-emo.