06 October 2008

Let's Be Afraid Together

My grandma was a closet Harlequin romance writer. This comes as no real to surprise to those who knew her, a spunky woman who stood a proud 5'2" and always had something sassy to say. Before her memory worsened, she simply devoured books and worked on her novel whenever she had a spare moment. I am seriously impressed that my grandma wrote a full-length novel; I've tried, and it is TOUGH.

All the better, then, that Grandma's book is a romance novel. Lately I have been typing and editing her manuscript, and it has been a lot of fun to peek into her mind. Sometimes I just die laughing because I can hear exactly how she would have said a certain line. Well, this week I reached a part of the manuscript that is too priceless to keep to myself: the proposal. With no further ado, I present this excerpt for your reading pleasure:
It was several days before Paul arrived home, pulled her into his arms, and kissed her gently. Ellen couldn’t help herself. She melted into his arms. “We have to talk, little one,” he said softly, then asked, “Have you considered my proposal?”

“Oh yes, I haven’t thought about anything else,” Ellen said. She looked into his blue eyes, searching his face. “Oh, Paul, I don’t know if we have known each other long enough. I wonder if we’re being hasty.”

For a few minutes he just stood there. “Ellen, I love you and want to marry you. I have never told another woman that.” He paused a second, then continued. “Ellen, I want to share my life with you because I love you. But I will not beg. Either you love me for myself or you don’t. I can wait. It’s your move next.” He just stood there, his face a mask.

“Oh, Paul!” Ellen threw her arms around his neck and exclaimed, “I do love you too. I’m just scared.”

He held her close, tightly within his arms, and kissed her forehead. “Let’s be afraid together, Ellen.”
Sorry to leave you on such a cliffhanger . . . hopefully that whet your appetite for the rest of the novel!

8 comments:

DP said...

Does she say yes???

sarahflib said...

You'll have to buy the book! (Or find out where I've stashed the manuscript.)

Janiebelle007 said...

I've read it and I'm not telling. Maybe I don't remember. A five spot across the palm could refresh my memory. And lets just say there is NO WAY i'm going to pronounce that series of letters out loud!

Emily S said...

She told me the outline of this book and the sequel. I can write the sequel for her estate if needs be once this is published and there's a demand. The dialogue is riveting in this one, though!

This Idaho Girl said...

I'd forgotten about your grandma's romance novel tendancies. I have to say it's probably better written than a lot of stuff on the LDS market. Guess she should've sent that manuscript to Covenant.

Kaitlin said...

let's be afraid together?? that's awesome.

Hannah said...

what more can i say besides: bahahahahaaaaaaa!!! Gotta love Granny. May I please be placed on the book waiting list?

Michelle said...

awwwwww, come on!!!! I want to know NOW!

That's awesome. Your grams, a closet romance novelist. That kind of makes a good storyline right there.... perhaps you can novelista about her (novelista probably means something else, but I'm feeling bold and thought I should start making up my own words and turning them into verbs. That's what writers do, you know.)

that's cool you've started (maybe finished?) a novel. So many little secrets you Gibby Gals keep...