And what happened to bring this unprecedented event--wearing jeans in the Church Office Building--to pass? I got to work in the archives for a few hours, and archives are extremely dusty so we were told to leave our nicer duds at home. We're all moving to the new Church History Library next spring, and in preparation for the big move, everything in the archives must be "tagged" with a bar code and boxed up. This is an absolutely massive project, as you might imagine considering all of the Church's holdings, so those in charge of the archives have recruited other Church History employees to help out for a few hours here and there.
It is super interesting to see the rows and rows and rows of materials in the archives. I am always blown away by the amount and type of historical material that the Church has collected. Yesterday we were tagging minute books, and I worked on minute books from Malad, Bear Lake, Nephi, Parowan, and Cedar City, to name a few places. Many of them were from the late 1800s and the books themselves were extraordinarily cool, as you can see in these pictures. Good times in the archives!
6 comments:
that's so cool.i would have loved to enter the magical archive kingdom. and wearing jeans? that's awesome. i can't think of anything i'd rather wear at the good ole COB.
What is a minute book? Looks cool, but if it's that dusty I'd need a mask and some Zyrtec.
It's like a minute waltz. Very small.
Oh, sorry--I hear "minute book" so often around these parts that I forget it's not the most common word around. Minute books are simply books that contain minutes from meetings. So I was handling books with minutes of meetings from different organizations such as Primary, MIA, high council, stake presidency, Relief Society, etc.
That is so cool! I bet you are seeing all sorts of amazing things! did I ever tell you that my mom worked for the Church archives before she got married?
If it isn't the infamous Sarah "no longer a Giblet but still a Flibby" Gibster. I know that's not your real last name now but I don't remember what your new one is. This is Nate Fuller, I don't look at these blogging bits very much but my wife loves to do it so I'm on here every once and a while. Congratulations on being pregnant. The misses and I have yet to join that club and who knows when we'll be invited. Just wanted to say hello and let us know if you and the hubs are ever in town and want to do something a la Barbie Game, Saved By the Bell, or any other fun-sounding activity.
Good to know you're still alive,
Nate
Post a Comment