12 November 2008

Observation

My place of employment has one of the finest and most inexpensive cafeterias around. Today I ordered a grilled ham and cheese sandwich to supplement what I had brought for lunch. I've ordered this sandwich many times before and it never fails to be exceptionally delicious--a cut above the normal grilled cheese, I'd have to say.

Well, today I noticed that they have an interesting technique for grilling the sandwich. They butter both slices of bread and grill them separately, and then they put the cheese on top of the ham and grill that separately as well. They put all the pieces together at the end and stick in a fancy toothpick so it feels gourmet, but at no time is the cheese grilled with the bread. Crazy! I had never considered making it this way, but the COB just might have the secret to an incredible sandwich.

3 comments:

DP said...

Secret = toothpick?

Janiebelle007 said...

I guess I like the bread and cheese stuck together. But browned ham would be a nice thing. ESPECIALLY with a toothpick. MOre fiber.

Emily S said...

And never smash it with the spatula. Yuck! And i hope the toothpick has cellophane on the end. I'll try doing this at home, let you know what Josh thinks.