05 June 2009

Team Madeline


Tomorrow my family and I are participating in a walk for cystic fibrosis. The walk is put on by Great Strides, an organization associated with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and the idea is to raise money that will support research on CF. Which will then, of course, lead to better treatments, a longer life expectancy, and eventually a cure.

Since Madeline was diagnosed with CF, I've learned how much progress has been made on this front in just the past several years. It’s really incredible. When my parents were born (not that long ago), kids with CF weren't expected to make it to elementary school. Then they were lucky to get to high school graduation. Now the median life expectancy is 37.4 and rapidly climbing.

Let's face it, though: 37 is still really, really young. This number should go up as people grow up with better treatments, but it can only skyrocket if CF research is both extensive and ongoing. For that reason, it would be fantastic if any of you donate to the cause. Anything helps.

Clicking the widget on the top right side of my blog will take you to a page where you can donate. (Some of you may have already done so through my sister’s blog—we’re on the same Great Strides team.) And if you’re in Provo and want to participate in the walk, you can join our team on the same page. We’re planning on going to Seven Peaks afterwards, so it’s sure to be a grand time!

5 comments:

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

This sounds so great! Wish we could make it. Maddie is looking terrific - nice and fluffy cheeks. :-) Have a great time.

Anna said...

can't get enough of that baby of yours. I'll come back and donate for sure because 37 is just too young and Madeline is just too cute.

S said...

That sounds so good! I wish I could be there to walk for it. I'm glad Madz will have some sass (you can tell from the z in her name)to help her get through everything. She really is so cute!

Andrew and Ariel said...

That sounds really great. I hear the same thing; my aunt here has a neice and nephew with CF. She says she'd be happy to give you their contact- they're both in their teens. Maddie looks better than ever!

Janiebelle007 said...

Way to make a difference Sarah