Friday night I stayed up way too late because I was trying to finish a project for work. I was in a groove, I had no distractions from Miss M., and I was anxious to finish a major phase of the project before calling it quits for the night. I ended up climbing into bed just before 2:00 a.m. I knew I would be tired when Madeline decided to begin our day, but it felt very worth it.
Fast forward to 7:00 a.m., when I woke up with a start because Madeline was crying pretty hard. It was still pitch black outside and I thought it was the middle of the night. I was totally delirious from being pulled out of a pretty deep sleep, and I wasn't thinking. For some reason Madeline's cries seemed especially urgent, so in my automatic-mama mode, I jumped out of bed and seriously ran to her aid. It just seemed like the thing to do, even though running is a bit dramatic when her room is only two feet away from ours.
There was just one problem: our bedroom door was halfway open. I slammed into the edge of the door at a pretty good speed, smacking both my head and my knee. Dave bolted upright when he heard my cries of pain and asked me what was wrong. I still couldn't think, but I knew I was really and truly hurt, and I knew Madeline was still crying. I sent Dave to help Madeline while I assessed the damage. When I put my hand up to my face, it came away slick with blood.
Once I actually saw the gash on my forehead, I immediately knew I needed stitches. I had visions of dramatically pounding on our neighbors' door and thrusting our baby at them as we rushed off to get help, but when we took a moment to think, we found out the urgent care facility wasn't open for a couple of hours anyway. We ended up driving home so my dad could stitch me up, which was a great decision. We saved a bucketload of money, I was stitched up by someone who is really good at stitches and wouldn't leave a scar, and we had some unexpected quality time with the fam.
In the end, I came away from the whole experience with seven stitches near my eyebrow and a huge black eye. My eye got progressively worse and swollen for the first two days--I couldn't even open my eye when I woke up on Sunday morning. I still have a black eye, but it's looking better and starting to fade away. I'll take the stitches out on Thursday.
Here's a picture of the offending door, so you can visualize what I ran into:
This is how I looked right after I got the stitches:
And this is how I looked later that night:

Dave and I have laughed so hard about my injury. I still can't believe I (a) hurt myself while getting up to feed my baby and (b) seriously ran into a door and ended up with stitches. Ridiculous! But thank heavens for Dr. G.
22 comments:
Was Dave as fast as an ambulance driver as I am? I got you to Dr. G in 2 hours 12 minutes when your monster of an appendix flipped out.
Well, we made it in about 2 hrs. 30 min., but we stopped for a Jamba Juice.
It wasn't quite as urgent since we got the bleeding to stop before we got in the car.
That looks like it hurts like heck! That's great that you have a good sense of humor about it. I'm not sure I would be such a good sport. Although I would love the scar:)
You really know how to put on eye makeup.
Oh my gosh. The whole time I was reading this, I was going, "please show me the pictures. Please show me the pictures!" Thank you for not disappointing. In our home, Doug would have been the one with the black eye. I'll warn him about you and about half-open doors. He'll actually take it seriously. (He is the super-hero of our household.)
Oaky, and what do you do for work? What school are you in for your Master's program? A typical day, por favor?
Sure, you ran into the door. Next thing you'll be telling us you fell down the stairs...It's okay, you can tell the truth. We know how mean that husband of yours can be...then he buys you jamba juice to "smooth" things over.
We are kidding of course, just had to give you a hard time. :)
Sara!
Look at that! I don't know if I should laugh my heart out or cry for you!
It looks almost, in the last photo, as if you got some permanent eye make up applied. Love that raspberry color on you.
xoxo
I'm sorry, but that's funny! Lol!
That was so funny, Sarah! I totally understood the whole, wake up out of deep sleep and run to crying child. It's your basic instincts kicking in when your brain is too tired to think. I can totally see that happening to myself except I would probably have knocked my teeth out on the door. Ouch to you! Thanks for sharing and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Ouch. I have to admit the purple eye shadow looks kind of cool though. Be careful!
Oh my word. Well...I'm glad to hear you got a Jamba Juice on the way to get your stitches, you rather deserved one.
I feel so mean, but I'm seriously laughing hard! I do feel bad for you though - I've had similar, although less serious mishaps. I've only had stitches once and it was after Kate made her entrance. :D Oh my goodness! The things we do for those kids, right? hahaha
LOL! I know I shouldn't laugh, but Sarah dear, that is one of the best stories ever. Madeline sure is lucky to have such a rockin' mom who hurts herself to get to her babe. I can't even imagine how bad that would have hurt. Love the story, and it will for sure bring laughs to your family for years to come. Way to go!
I'm sorry you hurt your eye, but I really love this story. Especially that you went all the way to Dr. Gibby to get sewn up.
Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. Don't worry about laughing--I seriously think it is a hilarious way to get injured. And Sarah, you might drive to Dr. G. too if you knew you could save over 500 bucks!
So sad, but I have to admit that it's kind of funny too...
Wow! I love that you were brave enough to share pictures and you are so lucky to have a Dr. G in the family. I hope that your face heals soon!
Relieved to hear it wasn't the result of a domestic dispute.
You're awesome. If anyone ever reads my comment, please know Sarah was laughing on her way up to Preston. She's that kind of gal.
awesome. Sorry you were up so late that night!!!!!!!!! I am partially at fault! But you got QT with family, and black eye stories are the best stories of all.
ouch! ouch! ouch! and I'm all for going home to have the dr. fix you up......I'm flying home to CA (again) to have some (more) dental work done-- no one like dads to save the day! (and husbands---way to go Dave on your excellent driving skills).
Post a Comment