08 July 2010

Lemon Fanta and a Rooftop

Did you even know that it's possible to open a can of soda like this? It is. It is not, however, possible to safely drink from such a can when operating a vehicle. Instead, you will just have to look at your cold lemon Fanta longingly until you've reached your destination.

Speaking of destinations, our apartment in Madrid is great. We live on the sixth (and top) floor of an apartment building close to the center of the city. Luckily there is an elevator. I don't mind hauling a stroller up and down a short flight of steps, but it would not be happening very often if I had to carry it down twelve flights. Much of the time Madeline and I actually opt to go stroller-free, because then we don't have to worry about finding elevators/escalators in the city and we can just explore together. She likes to walk anyway, and it feels more like we're hanging out together when we can talk about the things we see along the way.

Our apartment building has a wonderful flat roof with lots and lots of clotheslines that are designated for the different tenants. We are lucky enough to have a washing machine in our kitchen, and it's easy enough to just go up to the roof to hang everything up. It's a very safe roof, with walls on all sides that are several feet high, so Madeline can run around while I handle the laundry. She likes to help by pointing to the different items she wants me to take down from the line and hauling the laundry bag around.



On the Fourth of July, Dave and I actually went up to the roof to watch fireworks. We were surprised that there were fireworks at all, but it was nice to watch them from our rooftop in Madrid.

6 comments:

Renae said...

Wow, you are just all over the world these days! That's so cool!

Janiebelle007 said...

She is so cute. More photos please!

Sherwood family said...

I just read DP's account of your trip - you are brave!!! Although it might actually be worth it just for the European Fanta.

sarahflib said...

Ashley, I think you have redefined "brave" for all of us by living with your three very small children in Egypt!

Alison said...

Look how much fun you are having!!

And of course it was Quinn..haha

S said...

That sounds so fun, Sarah! It reminds me of when I had a washer in my kitchen in Europe. Have your roommates much improved compared to your last European stay what is it, nine years ago?