25 June 2011

The Best Medicine

I was depressed this morning. Nothing was really wrong, but I was feeling down anyway and wishing that Baby Sis would go ahead and arrive already. I never had a chance to feel this way when I was expecting Madeline because she came 11 days early and I totally wasn't expecting that. I'm due on Monday, so really it's not unreasonable to still be pregnant . . . I just sort of thought I would have a baby by this time. And considering that Dave was over 2,000 miles away yesterday for a job interview and my doctor is out of town all week, it was really quite considerate of Baby Sis to hold off a bit.

Anyway, it's hard to be sad for very long with Madeline around. Just look at her! We went on a walk this morning, and she was simply way too cute for words as she pulled her dog down the street with her curly ponytail bobbing along. She insisted on wearing a "pretty skirt" today because that's what I was wearing and she wanted to match. She's also incredibly compassionate and good at sensing how people are feeling, so when she realized I was sad, she threw her arms around my neck and said, "I love you, Mommy," over and over. And then she gave me her million-watt smile. Really, it's hard to beat that. I'm always so grateful that I get to be her mom and she gets to be my girl. I'm lucky a million times over.

I'm also lucky because without even knowing how I was feeling, Dave arranged a last-minute date and whisked me away to a Brooke White concert. It was awesome. The concert was at a gorgeous outdoor amphitheater, and we were sitting front and center maybe 15 feet away. The weather was great, the music was fantastic, and I even ran into Brooke in the restroom and got my own personal hello, so we're basically besties now.

So there you go. Life is good. Hopefully we'll meet Baby Sis sometime before Christmas, but until then, my people will keep me happy.

8 comments:

Paula said...

I hope your baby girl comes soon!! And turns out it was good we didn't come down a few weekends ago because we had a nasty bug (called metapneumovirus...who new?) that kept Becca in the hospital for 2 and a half weeks. So, I guess we'll just have to plan a time to come down after your baby comes and you're all settled. Good luck and I am sending labor vibes your way! Those last few days can feel like weeks.

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

You know I feel your pain, since I'm due Tuesday. Except for I have no reason to expect an early arrival, other than the fact that I kind of thought this one might be a little bit early. But I guess up until Tuesday he will be considered early. :) Thank heaven we can't stay pregnant forever - and that we have a shorter gestation than elephants. haha

Katie M. said...

Oh boy you are in good company. It can get discouraging when the baby doesn't come, but you know what? You can still sleep 8 hours right now. So enjoy it. AND... your chest can enjoy a few more days before swelling up with milk. Lots of plus's.

Cool concert indeed. I bet it was the perfect summer evening. I like Brooke's voice and genre. Good job on snagging that one, Dave!

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEWS! I'm waiting with bated breath.

Emily S said...

She is quite considerate, you can maybe have your dr now . . . Or maybe she's just as stubborn as Noah. We shall see. Maybe you are currently in labor.

Erin Dougal said...

Oh Sarah. I was thinking about you all day today. Due date day surely is never fun. I had Penny on my due date, and you had Madeline early, so I guess I don't really know, but I sympathize. Would you like to do some jumping jacks with me tomorrow? ;)

Mary Pugh said...

Hello! I keep thinking about you and hoping that all is going well! That picture of Madeline is beyond adorable! I can't believe that the last time I saw her she was this tiny little baby! Hope all is well!

Kevin + Marcy said...

You're a doll, Sarah (no wonder Miss Madeline is a doll). I love how you write.

S said...

How fun! My new thing is going to be, "Do you know that my friend Sarah is BFFs with Brooke White, the singer? Pretty cool, huh?"

And Madeline does have a 1000 watt smile. I like that description