13 June 2011

Thanks for the words of wisdom . . .

In case you didn't know, Madeline is going to be a big sister soon. Even though she has no way of knowing what it will really be like to have a little sis, she has her head completely wrapped around the concept that we're getting a baby and she's extremely excited. And, of course, we spend a lot of time talking up the experience of being a big sister in the hopes that this excitement will stick around for a while.

Enter my seven-year-old nephew Braden, oldest of four children. Absolutely sweet with his baby brother and all of his cousins; always looking out for Madeline's welfare when they're together.

Yesterday my mom overheard him having a little chat with Madeline. His cousinly counsel went something like this: "Madeline, I just want you to know that it's really not that great to be a big brother or sister. The baby will cry a lot and poop a lot and you'll have to change a lot of diapers. And your mom and dad will pay a lot of attention to the new baby. It's really not that great."

Which is when my mom piped in, "Braden! You can't tell Madeline that."

"Grandma," he said, "I'm just telling it like it is."

9 comments:

Kylie said...

baha!!! I love this!

Raree (RAH-ree) said...

Oh, my goodness. That's funny. Sad that he has that perspective, but I imagine he's not the only older brother that feels that way. Dietrich and Kate are pretty excited for our baby to come though. :)

S said...

That's so funny and so true! Except if you're a big sister that is...and the maternal instincts are pretty strong. I have faith in Madeline.

Hannah said...

ha ha haaaa!!! I love braden!

sarahflib said...

Just for the record, Braden is an incredibly good older brother and really, really good with little kids. He was also super excited for all three of his younger siblings to arrive. But he's also honest and apparently didn't want Madeline to have a sugarcoated view of what it's like to be an older sibling . . . let's face it, it's not awesome all the time.

Janiebelle007 said...

He's definitely my favorite oldest grandson.

krista jo said...

haha. awesome :)

Emily S said...

I always say I wish someone would have told me how hard missions are or how brutal post partum can be . . . way to look out for a cousin, Brade.

Rachel said...

hahahaha...I love it. What did Madeline say back???? Can't wait for the new baby!